Tyre rotation

reece

Hi all

I was looking at rotating the T/E tyres none of the tyres look to be having any excess wear but I thought ofbdoing a change with the spares.

Now the problem do I rotate the spares with the front or rear wheels on the van.

Regards

Reece

We rotated our 6 tyres recently on our van and simply did this -

Spares tyres came forward on to the rear axle (same side).

Tyres on the rear axle moved to the front axle (same side).

Tyres from the front axle moved to the spare tyre positions, but crossed over.

I guess everyone has their own pattern, but I guess as long as you do it the same way each time, you can't go wrong.

Hi Reece

We just left the tyres on the van until they wore out (evenly, fortunately.) When we got new tyres last week, we used the spares (never been used, always been covered) and two new tyres fitted to the van and the best of those that came off became the spares. Halved the cost, by not having to buy four tyres.

Cheers

Russ

I'm with Sue & Ann on this....... I believe it is a good idea to USE the spare tyres rather than leaving them wrapped up on the back of the van. Tyres do 'age' & the older they get the less flex & grip they have. Remember that tyres are only warranted for a max of 5 years.

Russ.

I can understand your thinking.......... BUT I would rather know that I had 6 'newish' serviceable tyres!

Remembering you will have tyre trouble when you least expect it or at the most inopportune time :angry:

G'day Reece,

I had a good conversation with a guy who has spent his life in the wheel alignment business particularly with trailers. He had a good look at my Top Ender and the suspension set-up. He made the statement that the tyre that will wear the most is the left rear tyre. That has proven to be correct on my van.. He gave me a tyre rotation chart for my van and I have attached it for you as a pdf.

Regards

Colin

G'day Reece,

I had a good conversation with a guy who has spent his life in the wheel alignment business particularly with trailers. He had a good look at my Top Ender and the suspension set-up. He made the statement that the tyre that will wear the most is the left rear tyre. That has proven to be correct on my van.. He gave me a tyre rotation chart for my van and I have attached it for you as a pdf.

Regards

Colin

G'day Reece,

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin, great rotation chart, just what I needed.

How often should the tyres be rotated?

Rob

Hello Hermit,

Same same as Webby, every 10,000 km. I also have the wheels balanced on every second rotation as I am told that that greatly helps tyre wear. I have Mickey Thompson tyres and the tyre people tell me that they, and many other brands of off-road tyre, are hard to balance.

Regards

Colin