Bicycles

Alan and Jayne

Hi everyone

We have a Top Ender and are waiting for the arrival of our new LC 200. Our bikes would normally be on bike racks on top of the vehicle, but we're putting a new tinny there instead. We have the boat motor on the drawbar, plus jerry cans, gas bottles and stone deflector.

Does anyone have suggestions where we can put our 2 bikes?

Cheers

Jayne and Al

Ian has a mountain bike 29" wheels - he takes the wheel off and it fits in between the rear seat and the Engel in our LC200 - my birdy folding bike fits under the bed really easily so both are well protected from damage and easy to have them out and on the road when required.

Alan and Jayne,

My suggestion would be to leave them in the shed. Most bikes we saw on our last trip didn't look like they had been taken out for a ride very often. If you intend to stay in one place for an extended period it may be worth taking them. Like a boat most of them stay on the vehicles.

cheers

Hi Alan and Jayne,

I'm with Laurie and Helen we dragged ours all round the Kimberley and NT last year and ride them very little even when we were based in places for a number of weeks, shame really, but, that's as it was. So unless your a committed cyclist leave them home and save the weight and the problem. BTW I even changed the front storage box to a much slimmer rectangular one so I could fit a double Fiama bike rack and remain pretty much space and weight neutral. The question is what will I do this winter, to cycle or not.... tending toward not at this stage.

Good luck with the decision

Hi Alan and jayne

We started out with bikes and used them enough, but they get so dirty when travelling, that we had to give them a major service everytime we wanted to ride them. Dust used to get into everything. So, we sold the bikes and removed the Fiamma bike carrier from the van. In the end, though, it was to save weight rather than for the reasons outlined, that we elected to get rid of them.

That said, if you have room on the drawbar for a Fiamma bicycle rack, they are the duck's guts.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ

Don't worry about bike racks we want to read the next blog so get on the job as we have really enjoyed them.

We are at a place called Mungo Brush camp north on Newcastle nestled between the Myall Lakes and the ocean beautiful spot over looking the lake.

They get out the drag nets here and drag for prawns in the lake liked we use to do in the Swan River so Penny and I are going to act like German tourists and go down and watch them sort the catch and hope they feel sorry for us and give us some prawns.

Regards

Reece

Hi Russ

Don't worry about bike racks we want to read the next blog so get on the job as we have really enjoyed them.

Regards

Reece

Hi Reece. Yes, there has been a long pause in blogs. I fully intended to update it while on our Sth Pacific cruise but the Internet on the ship was useless. If I don't get an issue out today, then it will be another week before I will be able to do it. We head off for a Nullabor crossing tomorrow and we are running around like mad things ticking the last items off our checklist. I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

Russ

Thanks all for your input and suggestions. We use our bikes all the time when we travel, as well as the boat. It's a great way to get the exercise in, and lovely peddling around little towns, or down to the pub for a beer or two. Perhaps inside the back of the Landy may be the way to go.

Cheers

Jayne and Alan

Hi Jayne and Alan or is it Alan & Jayne????

Rather than carrying the bikes in a Landy.... not a bad idea.... easier to use than a bag full of tools to keep the Landy going..... sorry had to throw that in from a Toyota owner..... what about one of those racks that attach to the goose neck of the tow vehicle & secured by the towball..... yes I know it it is a pain in the ar&* to open the tailgate but at least it is another option :D