Fruit Bat Falls

Fred1

Hello everyone,

Has anyone taken their van the 3 kilometers or so into the day parking area of Fruit Bat falls from the Development Road and Telegraph junction (other than the Galls)? The van is 19 foot. Someone has told me to unhitch the van at the junction of the Telegraph Track leave it there and just drive the 4WD in. The reason was if I met someone coming back, the road was too narrow to get the van out of the way. I am reluctant to leave the van unattended at the junction for obvious reasons. Eliot Falls are a further 7 Kms in again. Has anyone taken their van in there?

Cheers,

Fred

Hello Fred,

Yes I have taken my 20 ft TE into Fruitbat Falls. The track is single lane but posed no problems at all. If you encounter opposing traffic they will get out of your way, somewhere, as it is highly unlikely to be someone towing a van. :D As I recall there is NOT a sign saying it is not suitable for vans. So, go for it.

Once in there you will find plenty of parking and driving through to head back out is not an issue. It would be a shame not to visit both Fruitbat and Twin Falls once you are that far up the Cape. Fruitbat Falls is for day use only and is a beautiful place for lunch and a swim. Twin Falls has overnight camping.

Fred, as a caveat, it is a couple of years since I was there but I cannot imagine it would have changed much.

Hope this helps. A trip up the Cape is a wonderful experience.

Regards

Colin

Hello everyone,

Has anyone taken their van the 3 kilometers or so into the day parking area of Fruit Bat falls from the Development Road and Telegraph junction (other than the Galls)? The van is 19 foot. Someone has told me to unhitch the van at the junction of the Telegraph Track leave it there and just drive the 4WD in. The reason was if I met someone coming back, the road was too narrow to get the van out of the way. I am reluctant to leave the van unattended at the junction for obvious reasons. Eliot Falls are a further 7 Kms in again. Has anyone taken their van in there?

Cheers,

Fred

Hi Fred,

We have a 20'Kedron & took it into Elliot Falls last year without any problems as long as you are prepared to spend nearly an hour traversing the 13Km from the Dev road.In our party was a Millard Outback? (single axle)which also made the trip.We left our vans at Elliot when going to FBF & encountered a Bushtracker coming out as we were going in ( he commented that he wished that he hadn't taken his van in as it is so tight for room with limited parking for cars let alone a big van.It is only a day parking area so is not worth taking your van in.

Hope this helps

Doyley

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Fred

A couple of years ago, we took our new 22' TopEnder all the way into Eliot Falls, past Fruit Bat Falls. We enjoyed it so much we returned there for a 2nd time on the way south. You couldn't camp at Fruit Bat Falls, so we just went there for the day leaving the van at Eliot.

We passed one of those dreaded 4WD tourist buses on the very narrow section of the road, but we were able to pass each other without concern, albeit slowly.

Mind you, navigating around the loop road at Eliot Falls camp ground was a bit tricky, but we managed without touching anything.

At the time we were towing the TopEnder with our VW Touareg.

As always if you take it easy it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

Alan

• 2 years later...

Just thought i'd touch base to see if anyone has taken their vans into Elliot falls these days? We are leaving in a couple of weeks and I'd like to spend a night here if we can

NPWS website suggests the track is no good for caravans, but doesn't say they're not permitted in the campgrounds.

Hi Ryan

I can't answer you question directly, but other members here may comment on that they took their van in on the narrow & somewhat cut away 8 km track.

Last year we made the choice to leave our van somewhere else & use a tent for the 2 nights there.

(We also wanted to spend 2 nights tenting @ Captain Billy Landing & that track is written up as not suitable for caravans......there were several low hanging vines along this track that would hook up the airconditioner & the last 100 mtrs is a very steep slope down to the camp spot - but you could leave the can up the top in an overflow area)

We left our van @ the Heathlands Reserve Ranger station (unmanned & locked gate on w/e's)

free of charge in a beautiful big open area.

Their ph no* is 07 4060 3241.

On week days, this ranger station has a touch pad screen to book camp sites as well.

Admittedly there was some extra driving to & from the Ranger station from Elliot / Twin Falls, but we had no hassles getting into the Falls campground by not having the van in tow.

Most of the camp spots @ Elliot/Twin Falls are also very small & are bollarded off.

There is 1 or maybe 2 larger spots for groups where a caravan could be parked in if you decide to take the van in.

Hope this bit of info helps

Enjoy the Cape experience when you go there.....it is wonderful.....

Sue

• Like 1