birdsville races

richard sheppard

Hi all.We are heading off on a 14 week trip.Leaving Townsville on the 1st of September across to Boulia down to Bedourie into Birdsville for the races, down the Birdsville track to Maree across to Coober Pedy then to the flinders rangers, Hope to do most of S.A then into Victoria, Jindabyne,and back up the East coast back to Townsville. Any suggestion what to see, where not to go, places to visit.Richard.

Richard,

My advice if someone suggests not to go somewhere put it on your must see list. Look at our blog and you may pick up some ideas heading out towards Birdsville, can't help much south of this except Sawpit Creek near Jindabyne was always a nice spot to stay when we use to go skiing.

cheers

Hi Tony.I had to drill out the bottom to holes in the doors. Took it to TJM here in Townsville to get them fitted they done a great job. Have not had the van on the back as yet but I think by just looking at them they will be fine. They look good no vibration and I will let you know after our 14 week trip south. Once again thanks for your service with clearview mirrors.Richard.

Our or mine , as I do lots of art,/'photography from here ,if heading into South Australia not far from Port Augusta rather unknown is Hancocks Lookout .

/>http://www.australiancampsites.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=227:hancocks-lookout

Our favourite spot for camping near Marree is Muloorina Station - camped beside the bore fed waterhole. It is approx 54ks nth west of Marree on the edge of Lake Eyre. Been a few years since we were there, but it was an honour system of a gold coin with proceeds going to RFDS. AND surprisingly has a flushing toilet:) The turnoff was approx 1k past Marree.

Cheers Deb B

At Coober Pedy, we found the Stuart Range CP the better one - once again a few years now since we have been back there. A must see other than a tour of the underground houses, churches, etc is the cemetery. There was a bowser as you enter the park to buy your water or a communal one the other end of town. The food at Tom & Mary's Greek taverna and johns pizza bar was very good in enjoyment and value for money. The pizzas from the CP were also really good. Umoona opal mine and museum was my favourite shop - I think that's why we have only been to coober pedy 3 times - my husband can't afford any more visits:)

The Breakaways and the painted desert are a must see.

Cheers Deb B

Hi Richard,

Lots to see in SA, I suggest after Birdsville go on to Marree then Leigh Creek then on to Parachilna. From Parachilna you should go into the Flinders Ranges NP. Lots of places to see and camp. Wilpena Pound is a great camping spot and has good bushwalking.

The Eyre Peninsula and York Peninsula's have lots to see also.

I envy your trip....wish I was tagging along.

Rob J from work

SA is where I grew up, give me a call if you want more info

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John, I will give you a call when getting closer should be around the end of October early November. Leaving Townsville Sunday morning hopping to be in Birdsville Thursday afternoon.Regards Richard. :lol: