Corner Country and More

Tolley

Hello Koggers,

We are in Birdsville. The trip has been great travelling through fairly remote country from Tibooburra to Cameron Corner, then via Merty Merty and the original Strezleki Track to Innaminka. We received a right royal reception in Innaminka (more on that later) where we camped for two days on the Town Common. We had some unseasonal and extensive rain while in Innaminka but the heaviest falls were to the north in the Cordillo area. The rain prevented access to Innaminka airport and prevented the early morning flight landing.

We had a do your own thing day and a group went to the dig tree for a sausage sizzle and a cold beer. While there we met the Ranger who is known as Duck. He is a really nice man. When we were about to leave he offered to show us a shortcut out of there. We forded Cooper Creek and took a Private "closed" track back to the main road. Saved us 20 km. Good fun.

Due to the rain we decided to avoid Cordillo Downs road and head for Hadden Corner. After all, it is the Corner Country trip! That decision turned out to be a winner with eleven Kedron caravans climbing over the two significant sand dunes just before the corner post. We Did it and formed a circle to camp the night. A couple of camper trailers turned up and we somewhat surprised to see eleven Kedrons there!! Getting back over those dunes was even more fun it he next morning. More on that later.

Yesterday we travelled from Hadden Corner to Birdsville along roads that are in pretty good shape. Had our Happy Hour in the Birdsville Pub.

All is well, the flies are unbelievable and we now look forward to our trip down the Birdsville Track.

I'll post some photos later today.

Regards

Colin

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Koggers,

We are in Birdsville. The trip has been great travelling through fairly remote country from Tibooburra to Cameron Corner, then via Merty Merty and the original Strezleki Track to Innaminka. We received a right royal reception in Innaminka (more on that later) where we camped for two days on the Town Common. We had some unseasonal and extensive rain while in Innaminka but the heaviest falls were to the north in the Cordillo area. The rain prevented access to Innaminka airport and prevented the early morning flight landing.

We had a do your own thing day and a group went to the dig tree for a sausage sizzle and a cold beer. While there we met the Ranger who is known as Duck. He is a really nice man. When we were about to leave he offered to show us a shortcut out of there. We forded Cooper Creek and took a Private "closed" track back to the main road. Saved us 20 km. Good fun.

Due to the rain we decided to avoid Cordillo Downs road and head for Hadden Corner. After all, it is the Corner Country trip! That decision turned out to be a winner with eleven Kedron caravans climbing over the two significant sand dunes just before the corner post. We Did it and formed a circle to camp the night. A couple of camper trailers turned up and we somewhat surprised to see eleven Kedrons there!! Getting back over those dunes was even more fun it he next morning. More on that later.

Yesterday we travelled from Hadden Corner to Birdsville along roads that are in pretty good shape. Had our Happy Hour in the Birdsville Pub.

All is well, the flies are unbelievable and we now look forward to our trip down the Birdsville Track.

The photo shows the group at Cameron Corner with the Queenslanders on the left standing in Queensland and the others standing in the State that are serial losers in the State of Origin Rugby League!

Regards

Colin

post-986-0-35547900-1401055301_thumb.jpg

Another photo. One of the advantages of owning a Kedron is that you can go just about anywhere and camp in places like this. Cooper Creek, Innaminka, SA.

post-986-0-67968500-1401102088_thumb.jpg

Tolley, how much water was in the Cooper? Was the road to Ccongie Lakes open ? We are seriously considering going home that way (following our route from two years ago) in July.

Chris

Tolley, how much water was in the Cooper? Was the road to Ccongie Lakes open ? We are seriously considering going home that way (following our route from two years ago) in July.

Chris

Hi Chris,

We are in William Creek after having our trip today to Oodnadatta halted due to the rain. We are staying here overnight.

Whenever and wherever I saw the Cooper, except way down at the bottom of the Birdsville Track, it had plenty of water. Ido not believe it is flowing and is probably a series of large water holes.

When we were in Innaminka the Coongie Lakes road was closed due to the rain we experienced.

We are having a lot of fun on what has been a good trip so far.

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Chris,

We are in William Creek after having our trip today to Oodnadatta halted due to the rain. We are staying here overnight.

Last hear at this time we had our trip up the Oodnadatta similarly halted by rain, and were stuck at Coward Springs for three days. Then we pressed on to William Creek where we were able to assess the condition of the roads from a more informed base. Frustrating when it rains at unseasonal times.

Thanks for the information about the Cooper, it is helpful.

I hope you have sunny and dry weather!

Hello,

We are now in Coober Pedy. Our trip down the Birdsville Track and up the Oodnadatta Track has been just fantastic. The roads have been in good condition generally and at times, excellent condition. The country side is beautiful, surprisingly green. We have long periods of no traffic in either direction which makes for enjoyable touring. We were all excited to see Lake Eyre from the lookout on the Oodnadatta Track.

Our decision to stop in Wiliam Creek to allow rain to pass proved to be a good call. The next day was bright and clear and except for some short stretches of really greasy conditions the road north was in good condition. The further north we travelled to dryer the road became.

We used Oodnadatta as a refuel stop only and headed out into the painted desert for a night at Arckaringa Station. The before dawn trip out to the painted hills was fantastic as the day dawned clear and sunny to reveal those magic scenes.

Yesterday we had a great drive to Coober Pedy, beautiful scenery along a road in excellent condition. We have two nights here. Then we head south via William Creek, Lake Etre South and eventually to Farina.

Colin

Hello Tolley,

Please don't forget to say hi to the owners of Farina Stn (Kevin & Anne) for us please. And don't forget where I told you to get Mob Phone service.

Cheers

Steve & Kerry

Greetings all,

Annie & I are at Port Augusta now after leaving all our new & old friends @ Parachilna this morning.

We have had the most wonderful trip seeing many new & wonderful sights sharing soooo many laughs @ just having a wonderful time with many like mined people.

Colin & Gayleen did such a terrific job organising this trip, for which we are truly grateful.

I'm not one for writing trip reports........ but I'm sure that there will be a full trip report submitted very shortly & hopefully a lot of Karens & others photos posted on this site in due course.

It has been a wonderful trip & now Annie & I can start our honeymoon......lol ...without 20 other people tagging along (20 wonderful people)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Koggers,

Here I am in a cold, foggy, dark Finley NSW having finished the Corner Country Trip at Parachilna almost two weeks ago. It was a great trip, very enjoyable, and we were blessed with roads that were in good condition, beautiful scenery which we all marvelled at, good weather, and great company together.

Unfortunately, two of our group, Andrew and Sally and Stewart and Carol, were forced to depart our company before we reached Parachilna. Andrew had a badly infected tooth that eventually saw him forced to return to Sydney from Coward Sprigs. Stewart and Carol departed from Farina, a couple of days before the end of the trip, to be with Carol's ailing Dad. Thankfully, both situations have been resolved for the better.

I will get around to writing a trip report some time soon which I will publish on this site.

Once again, it was great travelling with friends from last year's Outback Way trip as well as new friends who joined us this year. The group consisted of a many characters all of whom made their special contribution during the trip. Also, once again, the ability of the group to fix almost every problem was remarkable.

For my part, I derive great satisfaction from learning that many of the participants "would not travel in such places" by themselves. Also, I personally have learnt so much from from the pooled talents of the group.

After Parachilna, we travelled to the Clare And Barossa Valley's in the company of Grant, Jane, Neville and Penny. That was also great fun and the days were spent sipping and eating!

Thank you to all those who joined the trip. We will keep in touch.

Regards, Colin and Gayleen.

The attached photo was taken in the Painted Desert at sunrise.

post-986-0-85141600-1403210907_thumb.jpg