Xantrex C40 Reset

Andrew and Sally

Solar charger not charging. The green LED is blinking once per second, as it would normally when charging, but batteries not charging.

I suspect it needs resetting after I disconnected the batteries on Tom's advice to force a reset of the 240v charger last year (Xantrex P40). That worked fine and no further problems with the P40.

So, the C40 manual says to reset by pressing a button on the right side of the unit. Problem is the main 12V/240V switch/breaker has been mounted around 1cm to the right of the C40. I can squeeze a finger in and feel the hole but no way get any kind of probe in there to depress the switch.

Does anyone have any ideas

a. whether my diagnosis I likely to be correct and

b. how to reset the C40 given the space restriction? One possibility may be to remove the front cover and get to the switch from inside but I'm reluctant to go there - could cause more harm than good, especially to myself!

c. any Xantrex service providers in the Sydney area who I can get to check it out?

We're OK for now at a CP on 240v but I need this sorted ASAP before we start free camping again!

Thanks, Andrew

Andrew, I had the same problem some time ago in respect of pushing the reset button. I took the cover off, which is simple, and reset that way. You will nott come to any harm but, for your peace of mind, disconnect the 240v supply first.

Eventually, I had to replace the box.

Colin

Hi Reece

Thanks for your help I did that to reset the P40 240v charger and it worked. Problem now is the C40 SOLAR charger. From the manual it has to be manually reset by pushing the button. This is a consequence of disconnecting it when I disconnected the P40. Let me know if you think I've got it wrong. Meanwhile I'll try Colin's advice and see what happens.

Many thanks, Andrew

With Tom's help I resolved the problem by forcing a cold reset of the C40. To do this, remove the front cover, then disconnect the red and black leads that go to the battery and -ve van shunt respectively. Leave 10 minutes, then reconnect and wait for the unit to reset, at which time the charge light starts blinking again

Hope this is helpful to someone else in the future.

Many thanks to all who helped.

Regards, Andrew