ATV air suspension

barramundi

Hi all,

We are in the process of ordering a 20 foot ATV shortly.

Have any of the owners that have had air suspension fitted had any issues.

Do you think it performs much/any better than the standard suspension.

I have looked here and other forums and have not been able to get much feedback on caravan air suspension.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks DOug

Hi Doug

I personally opted for VC coils and did not think at the time that Airbags were worth the extra cost.The VC suspension is superb with the exception of the shockies that they use (could be better)

My concerns at the time were for the robustness of the bag system and the extra components required that add to the list of "things that can go wrong". We still do some serious off roading with the van and I worried that there was too much to go wrong.

Having personally spoken with about 30 airbag owners and also seen them in action on my Brother inlaws van, I am completely sold on them now.

They amount to an horrific amount of money but the ability to pull up on an uneven parking spot and flick a switch to level the rig is priceless (even with the tow tug still hooked up)

The B/inlaws van has 150 mm of travel and this allows them to drop the van right down when parked which puts the entry step close to the ground and it is only on very un level ground that they need an extra step.

Having raived for so long, Would I fit them personally?. A big yes from me.

Cheers from the Kyd's.

Hi Doug

our topender has the air bags and we are very happy with it for all the reasons Rod has stated . We bought our van,second hand 3 years ago and have been on many really rough tracks with ease no problems . Well worth spending the extra . We would not hesitate this system on our next kedron :P:)

John and Jo

• 1 month later...

Hi Doug

our topender has the air bags and we are very happy with it for all the reasons Rod has stated . We bought our van,second hand 3 years ago and have been on many really rough tracks with ease no problems . Well worth spending the extra . We would not hesitate this system on our next kedron :P:)

John and Jo

Thanks for the feedback on the suspension.

We will be heading down to Brisbane next month to order our new van.

Looks like it will end up with the air suspension.

Do not have a cost yet but should also make it a bit lighter as well.

With the new layouts and finishes soon to be available it is even more exciting.

thanks Doug and Lis.

We have a new ATV on order for September pickup, the new suspension is all coil with shockies. Ask to speak with David Gall about the air bags they will fit at your request but not as standard, have had long chats about these over the weeks before we placed the order for the Van. What are you towing your new ATV with ? like to know about your weights . There will be 14 Vans from Kedron at the Brisbane show on display with new colours and design. regards Loanstar.

Thanks for the info.

We will be towing with a 200 series with very little load so weight should not be an issue.

Have quite a few things to sort out before the final order.

Also looking at the lithium option.

Have done quite a bit of homework on them already.

Lots of mis-information about them around the web.

Its a good time to be buying as they have come up with a lot of new designs and innovations.

The new TE sounds like it will be a bit of an eye opener.

Doug and Lis.

Thanks for the info.

We will be towing with a 200 series with very little load so weight should not be an issue.

Have quite a few things to sort out before the final order.

Also looking at the lithium option.

Have done quite a bit of homework on them already.

Lots of mis-information about them around the web.

Its a good time to be buying as they have come up with a lot of new designs and innovations.

The new TE sounds like it will be a bit of an eye opener.

Doug and Lis.

Doug,

What options have Kedron come up with Lithium? Size, configuration?

We haven't got to many details as yet, however I have done quite a bit of research on other forums.

Best value batteries are Winston.

90 AH 12 volt for a bit over $500 each.

Charging system and monitoring system needs to be quite a bit different for them.

At this stage we are sticking with 3 panels and 3 x 90 AH batteries.

Apparently they have a man in Brisbane that is doing most of the installation for them.

I plan to have a good chat to him before I make any decisions.

Saving almost 90 kgs is worth looking at.

thanks Doug and Lis

We haven't got to many details as yet, however I have done quite a bit of research on other forums.

Best value batteries are Winston.

90 AH 12 volt for a bit over $500 each.

Charging system and monitoring system needs to be quite a bit different for them.

At this stage we are sticking with 3 panels and 3 x 90 AH batteries.

Apparently they have a man in Brisbane that is doing most of the installation for them.

I plan to have a good chat to him before I make any decisions.

Saving almost 90 kgs is worth looking at.

thanks Doug and Lis

Thanks Doug.

If you are going with 270AH (90 x 3) of LiFePO4 ($500 x 3 = $1500), my advice is to go with either a single 260AH 12V battery if you can find one or 4 x 260AH 3V cells $350 x 4 = $1400

Not due to the small cost saving but you'll likely have problems balancing the parallel 12V batteries (which are really just 4 x 3V cells made into a pack)

Are you sure 270AH is enough?

And, yes, add the under and over voltage protection - another few hundred dollars extra to do properly.

Yes, I agree, weight saving is worth it.

Have not made final decision as yet.

Will have a good talk to their installer before doing anything.

Cost is not as important as getting it right the first time.

A lot easier to fix/set up in the factory than on a remote beach in WA.

An extra portable panel may be a better option as I should be able to use it to charge the second battery in the LC.

From the information I have so far if I can get it set up properly the lifepo battery system are way better than AGM.

Any more feedback on the air suspension from owners that have it installed would be greatly appreciated as well.

thanks Doug and Lis