First trip to the Cape

Daryl

Hi all, I need some help.

In June Errolyne and I will be taking off to Cape York from Gold Coast.

The planned route is via Longreach, Cloncurry, Lawn Hill, Burketown, Normanton, Cairns and all points north!

I've been doing a lot of research on the internet and some of the info there is really valuable. But nothing beats the lowdown from experienced Kedronners (is that a word?)who've done the trip recently.

I would really appreciate any advice on places not to be missed and good free camping spots along the way.

Travelling in LC200 and 19ft ATV. We are experienced travellers but have never done The Cape before.

Thanks in advance for your help!

DARYL

Hi Daryl

I can’t give any of your requested advice.... yet...we leave Bris in 2 wks for our trip to the Cape, & will take 4 – 6 wks to get to Cooktown via the coast & start the Cape run by early June.

We’ll be doing Gulf & Lawn Hill after the Cape & hope to take 3 -4 mths for the trip.

You didn’t mention whether you had any resource books or not... I bought “Cape York Atlas & Guide” by Hema maps. Also have Rod & Viv Moon’s “Cape York Travel & Adventure Guide”.

I have found both have a wealth of information thus far...I can’t wait to get the drive started.

I’m sure Colin (Tolley) & others will give you loads of great info.

I’ll send you a PM with ph no* etc if you’re interested in catching up some where up that way.

Happy planning

Sue

Hi all, I need some help.

In June Errolyne and I will be taking off to Cape York from Gold Coast.

The planned route is via Longreach, Cloncurry, Lawn Hill, Burketown, Normanton, Cairns and all points north!

I've been doing a lot of research on the internet and some of the info there is really valuable. But nothing beats the lowdown from experienced Kedronners (is that a word?)who've done the trip recently.

I would really appreciate any advice on places not to be missed and good free camping spots along the way.

Travelling in LC200 and 19ft ATV. We are experienced travellers but have never done The Cape before.

Thanks in advance for your help!

DARYL

We went in the first week of June last year and must have timed it after the graders as it was an easy run to Weipa and up to Seisa.

On the run back the road was showing signs of corrugations increasing, was that due to people leaving the

Cape driving faster or normal deterioration?

Take care of any road signs they are there for a purpose and not to be ignored.

Side roads were still wet and rough with many areas still closed.

From our experience I would recommend going early in June.

Just go and enjoy whatever you find hoping the conditions suit.

Cheers

John

G'day RodnSue,

( Also have Rod & Viv Moon’s “Cape York Travel & Adventure Guide”.

I have found both have a wealth of information thus far...I can’t wait to get the drive started.)

Be a bit careful with some of Ron Moon's free camp recommendations: One glaring error refers to a dog friendly camp spot at 'Jake Lakes' across from Kalpower crossing. It is actually a site of major Aboriginal significance and is not available for access or camping. The Moons' have been asked to remove the reference from their books several times but have so far chosen to ignore the request.

in any event the road out there is absolute Cr*p and I would be fairly confident that you would not drag the van through + not much of a visual spot either :(

All that aside, hope you have a great trip and with luck we will be back up there again this year.

Regards,

JK.

G'day RodnSue,

in any event the road out there is absolute Cr*p and I would be fairly confident that you would not drag the van through + not much of a visual spot either :(

All that aside, hope you have a great trip and with luck we will be back up there again this year.

Regards,

JK.

Thanks for that good advice JK.

It's great advice like yours that Daryl & the rest of us who are yet to experience The Cape are looking for helpful hints.

Hope to meet you up that way as well.

cheers

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Daryl,

I am an advocate of an early June departure from Cairns up to the tip. Tonight, as I sit here we are getting ready to hitch Keddy and head to Charters Towers to get away from severe Tropical Cyclone Ita! Wherever it goes it will drop heaps of water in our region. However it is still seven or eight weeks to the beginning of June and this country recovers very quickly. So, if I were you I would still plan on an early June departure from Cairns. My hope is that the TC will head inland as a rain depression and give some water to our deserving farmers and inland communities. It is looking pretty shitty out there right now,

The good news is that I sold my house, settlement last Monday, and the house we have purchased does not settle until the 17th! How lucky is that?

Regards

Colin

Hello Daryl,

I am an advocate of an early June departure from Cairns up to the tip. Tonight, as I sit here we are getting ready to hitch Keddy and head to Charters Towers to get away from severe Tropical Cyclone Ita! Wherever it goes it will drop heaps of water in our region. However it is still seven or eight weeks to the beginning of June and this country recovers very quickly. So, if I were you I would still plan on an early June departure from Cairns. My hope is that the TC will head inland as a rain depression and give some water to our deserving farmers and inland communities. It is looking pretty shitty out there right now,

The good news is that I sold my house, settlement last Monday, and the house we have purchased does not settle until the 17th! How lucky is that?

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

Hope you and Gayleen are OK.

Travel safe out there, it sure is going to rain.

Peter and Margaret.

Tonight, as I sit here we are getting ready to hitch Keddy and head to Charters Towers to get away from severe Tropical Cyclone Ita! Wherever it goes it will drop heaps of water in our region. Regards

Colin

Good luck with Ita Colin, not sure whether we will get any backwash down here!

I'm about to start re-reading your GCR trip with the hope that we may be able to get away and give it ago 'soonish': Flying solo at this stage - the big Chevy tyres have me concerned but intend to carry 2 spares and two extra cases.

Regards,

JK.

Hi Merv,

While your question was not directed to me regarding tyre sizes, I thought I would put my 2 bobs worth in in case you were gathering data.

My GMC came with 20" as standard equipment but I changed them to the 18" Silverado rims as I figured the tyres would be easier to get hold of plus they have more "Wall" for off road use.

Cheers

Thank you John and Steve

Mine still has the original 20's and I am waiting for a guy in the States to get back to me with a set of OEM 18's. I got sick and tired of trying to get a set here and I refused to pay what was being asked which was exorbitant.

North bound at the end of the month.....

Cheers

Merv,

Have you spoken to John (owner) of Victorian American Imports? That is where I bought my GMC and he and his team are always eager to please. They are very efficient whenever I have dealt with them.

Daryl, Sorry for hi jacking your post

Peter, Margaret and JK, thanks for your kind thoughts.

Did the 500 km in heavy rain from Cairns to Charters Towers yesterday. The heavy rain was between Cairns and Townsville. Sitting here all snug in Charters and we have Sellingup (aka Kerry and Mal) parked nearby. It was good to meet them.

Bit of rain here but compared to what is belting down back home, this is nothing!

Having seen, again, the buying frenzies in supermarkets and gas stations I reckon cyclones are good for business.

King regards

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

G'day. Sue and I are at Seisia now. The first travellers, including an old single-axle Windsor van, got through two days ago. They report that the road is pretty good, but a lot of washouts to watch for and many crossings with deepish water. Should be much drier in 3 to 4 weeks. We drove down as far as the Jardine Ferry yesterday and the road was pot-holed, but not corrugated, with only a few minor washouts.

Stick to Russ' Rule: "Tyres down, right foot up" and you'll be fine.

Cheers

Russ

Wow ! Everybody's doing MY trip, and now it looks like I can't go!

Business and family reasons will probably restrict us to four weeks, not enough time, in my opinion, for the Cape trip from Gold Coast. I guess we'll do the Winton Longreach jaunt instead.

Anyhow, to those setting off I wish you a great experience, and I'm really not jealous at all (grumble grumble) !

Thanks for the heads up Russ. I had been wondering where you & Sue were on your way north. Hopefully you might get some fishing in before the tourist season gets into full swing :-)

Daryl, that's a shame that you have to cancel part of your trip.

You will still enjoy plan B though.

We left a week ago for our trip to the Cape, have gotten as far as Bargara :o .

I guess we'd better move a little faster if we want to start PDR (or Battle Camp Rd if it's open) by beginning of June.

Let me know when you're around Winton please in the event we are on our way south if you have time for a greeting drink etc.

cheers

Sue

It sounds like there might be a lot of Kedrons up there at the end of May. We are heading north at the end of next week from Melbourne and we hope to catch up with other KOGers on the Cape.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Merv, we look forward in meeting up with you & any other Kedron owners going that way.

Might post here (with new subject heading though) on our where abouts to chance meetings with you & other owners.

Have fun getting there.

cheers

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Koggers,

For all those headed up the Cape, or for that matter just around Cairns, BE WARNED!!!!!

It is freezing here. Last night it was only 11 degrees. I have had to put shoes on!

The weather is now just beautiful. The wet has gone along with the humidity. I always advocate an early June departure from Cairns. That will prove to be good advice again this year.

I have not had any road reports but with this weather the crews will be out there. Call the Cook Shire for good info.

Travel safely and look after our beautiful Cape York.

Regards

Colin

On our way, currently in Bourke and wearing the snow suit, it is that cold. Had two Keddy's pass us south bound yesterday heading towards Cobar. Hope they have a great trip where ever they are going.

Cheers

Merv