Cape Leveque

Gilly

G'day

We are currently heading to Broome via Plenty Hwy & the Tanami and just wondering about taking the van up to Cape Leveque.

We are getting mixed reports on how far we can take the van north on the Cape Leveque Road. Some advise we can only go as far as Middle Lagoon, leave the van there and travel the remainder by 4X4. Others are saying we can take the van as far as Gambanan and Bully's Camp, Djoodoon.

Just wondering if any members have taken their vans to the more northern locations. I understand there is no access allowed at Kooljaman Resort at the top.

Cheers and Safe Travels.

Pete & Lyn

Once you're past Middle Lagoon turn off the main road turns to a really good wide bitumen road. Heavily corrugated to that point. So technically not an issue.

Middle Lagoon is the best camp area IMHO.

No caravan camping at Kooljaman - not sure why as they allow camper trailers.

We camped at Middle Lagoon in 2009 and drove around the rest of the area and found a lot more camping areas on both western and northern sides. You should ring ahead and make sure they are ok and there is room. Check the Hema maps.

G'day Dave & Jane,

Thanks for that. We will camp at Middle Lagoon and do day trips to the other areas further north.

Cheers,

Pete & Lyn

Hello Pete & Lyn,

As It happens, we live at Beagle Bay, so guess there is no better person to answer your questions.

The only truly accessible areas to take your van are Banana Wells, Middle lagoon and Chillie Creek. Middle Lagoon is by far the best location as it is smack bang on the edge of the water. The others, you will need to drive to the waters edge.

Middle Lagoon is my pick as we spend most weekends there. The owner is Tammy and the manager is Herbie ............... all fantastic people. Cape Leveque (Kooljaman) Resort is also beautiful, however it is overpriced (more than the others) and you cannot take your van there, plus the manager is very grumpy.

There used to be a couple of other places to take the van, but have since closed down.

While up that way, make sure you go to Cygnet Bay for the King tide boat tour (outgoing tide is best) and make sure you have lunch or dinner there as it is first class food and very fairly priced. Also go for a drive on the beach at Lombadina. It is a stunning beach.

There is not a bad place to fish anywhere in the region, but make sure you have 60lb braided line minimum and No 5 or 6 hooks.

We dragged the van out of there last week and yes the 90kms of dirt road is crap at the moment, but fine if you take your time and I always travel in and out of there with the van tires around 30psi and don't have a problem.

I am sorry we are not there at present to show you around as we are in NT on holidays, but I am sure you will love the place

Cheers

G'day Steve & Kez,

Thanks so much for your local knowledge - we will have a look at all you have suggested. It's a shame we will miss you on this trip but we will surely cross paths at some time I'm sure. We will be leaving Toowoomba early tomorrow morning and picking our van up at Toompine Pub where we left it a few weeks ago and heading west to be around Broome/Cape Leveque later in July.

Cheers,

Pete & Lyn

Hi Pete & Lyn,

If you are going to be up in that region in late July, We should be there as we get back the 2nd week of July, so be sure to drop into the Beagle Bay store and say hi. If you happen to be there on a weekend we will be able to show you a round.

Cheers

Steve & Kez

Hi Steve & Kez

We will definitely see you then as we won't be there before 2nd week in July.

Hopefully we can time it so it is a weekend and spend some time with you.

Looking forward to it

Pete & Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Lynn and I are currently in Broome getting ready for a 5 night boat trip late next week. When we return, we plan on heading up the cape as well so might just see you up there. Looks like Middlle Lagoon is the place to stay I see. Thank you for the info. Hope to drop into Beagle Bay also, so will drop in to say "hi", Steve.

Regasrds

Chris & Lynn.