Landcruiser 200 Series or Silverado

Tolley

Yes David,

When I first purchased the GM, I thought to myself ..........heated and cooled seats ..............a bit over the top, but now......................... I love it, but not as much as exhaust brakes. They have saved us a couple of times in the slippery mud as you don't have to use your brakes which prevents wheel lock up on wet clay.

Its the little things that make it better

Hold the line Ann, not many of us 100 Series left. Looks like the Chevvy's becoming the new Kedron tug of choice but we're staying true to the Toyo!

Best regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew, we love our 100 series but it is about 10 years old now and some minor things needed replacement!! :D The 3" Taipan exhaust made a big difference to our towing.

Hello Jacky Jacky,

That is a good link that you provided. From this and other forums I cannot find any criticisms of the Silverado other than size related issues such as parking. Certainly, we Ozzies are not accustomed to big motor vehicles as are the Americans.

To me, it is the peace of mind that the Silverado provides due to its capacities in load carrying, braking and power that are attractive. Mind you, I find the heated and cooled seats and many other creature comforts attractive as well.

Where are you at the moment? Wherever you may be I hope your are both well and having fun.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin, we are resting up for a bit at Townsville before going to catch up with Elle near Ayr then out to Charters Towers. Have to be back in Brisneyland by end of October. Good luck with your vehicle choice and love to Gayleen.

Hi Ann

Ours is 10 years old too but low mileage. We added Taipan exhaust and matched chip and it pulls like a bullock! Also recently renovated the suspension with new shocks, front wheel bearings, drive shaft/cvs and replaced all rubber bushes. Drives like new again do we're right for another few years at least. What are you thinking of doing for replacement? The Chevvy works for me, if only!

Best regards. Andrew

Hi Ann

Ours is 10 years old too but low mileage. We added Taipan exhaust and matched chip and it pulls like a bullock! Also recently renovated the suspension with new shocks, front wheel bearings, drive shaft/cvs and replaced all rubber bushes. Drives like new again do we're right for another few years at least. What are you thinking of doing for replacement? The Chevvy works for me, if only!

Best regards. Andrew

With the risk of hijacking this thread - We will stick with our TD GXL 100 til it (or us) drops!! We also had a suspension upgrade, recently replaced the bushes and CV joints. A mechanic in Charters Towers said he still sees them going strong with 800,000 km on the clock. Chevvy too big for us!!

Best regards

Hi all, It looks like Colin might be joining the growing Chevy clan. Well good onya! I must say we are rapt with ours and wish we had made the change sooner. I can't really add much to the conversation except to say in relation to the length that we always parked the Tojo well away from the maddening crowd so doing the same with the Silverado is no big thing. We are fortunate that it is not our daily driver so the inconvenience when we are on the road does not bother us to much, the towing power well and truly makes up for it.

Cheers

Greg & Cathy

Hello,

I have been doing a lot of research and decided that a Chevy Silverado is the best option for me. All I have to do now is get one and get a bigger garage!

When I do get one it will seem strange not being behind the wheel of a Landcruiser.

Regards

Colin

Hello Colin,

Have you driven one yet?

Please make sure you do your research on the suppliers as there are a couple of dodgy one around and some of the conversions are not as good as others.

Feel free to contact me if you want to know more

Steve

Hello Colin,

Have you driven one yet?

Please make sure you do your research on the suppliers as there are a couple of dodgy one around and some of the conversions are not as good as others.

Feel free to contact me if you want to know more

Steve

I wouldn't part with my Silverado for quids. We have just done a two month trip from Melbourne to the top of the Cape and return and ended up with an average of 18.8 litres per 100km. They are an unbelievable tow vehicle and on more occasions than I can think of I had to check the mirrors to make sure the van was still there, effortless tow. We spoke to numerous Land Cruiser owners towing big vans and they couldn't believe the economy we were getting, but when you tell them that on 100kph you are only doing approx 1600 revs so your motor is just ticking over. The only problem is parking the truck in shopping centres and then we park away from the crowd and end up with less damage. We had our Top Ender re rated to 3950kgs and don't have a problem now of watching our weight. One less thing to worry about. Yes, the vehicle is extremely comfortable. The only thing I have done to ours is to fit a long range fuel tank, canopy and shortly after our trip to the Birdsville races in a couple of weeks a set of rear air bags which will help to remedy the 'diving' you can get with a heavy van and no WDH and it will also help to level the unit. With the van on the back the rear of the truck drops approx 50mm, which is nothing really to worry about.

Cheers

Merv

Merv,

Would you mind telling me where you had the long range fuel tank fitted, what capacity is it, any legislative/registration/Dept of Transport issues and the cost? I am about to acquire a Silverado and I am interested in fitting a long range tank.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

Sorry I haven 't been able to reply sooner, Telstra restricted all out goings from Birdsville during the races and we haven't been able to get internet access, Anyway, we purchased ours through American Vehicle Sales in Rowville (Melbourne and one of the cheapest places to buy) they fitted the 230 ltr long rang tank there. Order it when you order your truck or they may have one in stock. Truck and tank. Vehicles are registered in Victoria as light heavy vehicles for a period do three months initially an d after reg , next day on request they are derated 42 kgs to bring them under truck classification! Taken bak to Vic Rds and paper work done. Engineers report only nothing physically done to the truck ($350.00 money spinner) and away you go. That was how it was done for us. If you already have the truck Performax in Gympie or Brown Davis tanks in Melbourne will be able to help you with the tank.

If you have a choice of 18 or 20" wheels get 18" I have had to ship a 20 up from Melbourne to Mt Isa as I holed one on the Birdsville Track, none others in Australia for the size I required.

Cheers Merv

Hi Colin,

I guess by now you have taken delivery of the Silverado from my daughter & soninlaw in Tassie. You have got a great vehicle as Craig is one of the most festidious vehicle owners i know and we enjoyed travelling in it in February in tassie.We have just moved to a 200 series Sahara from a 100 series Sahara to pull our 2006 Kedron in which we have travelled 97,000 ks and we love it. We now live at the RV Homebase in Maryborough Qld from Tea Gardens NSW since January 2014 and have the best of both worlds as do several other KOG members recently. Trust you enjoy the Silver Beast and have many trouble free travels around OZ.

Geoff

Craig and Kate

Thanks for being such great people to deal with in the purchase of your beautiful Silverado. I am sitting in Devonport waiting to board the ferry. The Silverado is awesome! Power!!! My goodness! I really enjoyed the drive from Hobart. Average fuel economy 14.7 L per 100, vastly more economical than my 100 Series.

You can rest assured "Kev the Chev" will be looked after.

Thank you Kate, Craig and Josh.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

I guess by now you have taken delivery of the Silverado from my daughter & soninlaw in Tassie. You have got a great vehicle as Craig is one of the most festidious vehicle owners i know and we enjoyed travelling in it in February in tassie.We have just moved to a 200 series Sahara from a 100 series Sahara to pull our 2006 Kedron in which we have travelled 97,000 ks and we love it. We now live at the RV Homebase in Maryborough Qld from Tea Gardens NSW since January 2014 and have the best of both worlds as do several other KOG members recently. Trust you enjoy the Silver Beast and have many trouble free travels around OZ.

Geoff

Geoff, thank you. The vehicle is immaculate reflecting what you say about Craig. I can't wait until I have the Kedron in tow.

Incidentally I has a block in RV Homebase but let it go for various reasons . I reckon it would be a great place.

Kind regards

Colin

My 2012 Chev come with 20"s so I purchased a set of 18" rims from the US of A at a quite reasonable price as they are easier to get. I can put you in contact with the person I dealt with over there if you need it. The new 200 Series run standard 18's now so the tyres are only going to be easier to get, but outside of the big cities even Toyota drivers are going to find it hard. As long as you have a contact to supply tyres it will not be a concern, always an extra spare.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Merv

How easy was it to get wheels from US I cracked one of my 20 inch rims doing the Bungle Bungles and am tossing up weather to get another rim or a set of 18 inch rims

Regards Tony (kakadu)

Hi Tony

I can put you in contact with the guy I dealt with in Roy, Utah, a real gentleman to deal with or I am considering selling my 20's (-4-) if you are interested. They have only done 31k and are 265/60R20 Wrangler SR.A. We hope to be home by the 23rd feel free to give me a call if you still have my number.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Tony

I can put you in contact with the guy I dealt with in Roy, Utah, a real gentleman to deal with or I am considering selling my 20's (-4-) if you are interested. They have only done 31k and are 265/60R20 Wrangler SR.A. We hope to be home by the 23rd feel free to give me a call if you still have my number.

Cheers

Merv

Sorry Merv I have lost your no my email is kakadu@bigpond.net.au

Tony

Hello Everyone and especially Kate and Craig,

The Silverado is now parked at my home in Cairns. We arrived here yesterday early evening. At Lunchtime five days ago, last Monday, I left Hobart headed for Cairns. The Chevy was a delight to drive and returned an average of 13.5 L/100k which is very impressive as we were cruising at 140 kph out west. Now I have to learn all the clever things it will do and get it matched up to my van.

Gayleen, my beautiful wife has nicknamed it "Hi Ho". Hi Ho Silver............get it? Women!

Regards

Colin?

Hello Everyone and especially Kate and Craig,

The Silverado is now parked at my home in Cairns. We arrived here yesterday early evening. At Lunchtime five days ago, last Monday, I left Hobart headed for Cairns. The Chevy was a delight to drive and returned an average of 13.5 L/100k which is very impressive as we were cruising at 140 kph out west. Now I have to learn all the clever things it will do and get it matched up to my van.

Gayleen, my beautiful wife has nicknamed it "Hi Ho". Hi Ho Silver............get it? Women!

Regards

Colin?

Hi Col ( Lone Ranger)

Good to see that you made it back home with the steed .

Nev