Landcruiser 200 Series or Silverado

Tolley

Hi Colin

Sorry I haven 't been able to reply sooner, Telstra restricted all out goings from Birdsville during the races and we haven't been able to get internet access, Anyway, we purchased ours through American Vehicle Sales in Rowville (Melbourne and one of the cheapest places to buy) they fitted the 230 ltr long rang tank there. Order it when you order your truck or they may have one in stock. Truck and tank. Vehicles are registered in Victoria as light heavy vehicles for a period do three months initially an d after reg , next day on request they are derated 42 kgs to bring them under truck classification! Taken bak to Vic Rds and paper work done. Engineers report only nothing physically done to the truck ($350.00 money spinner) and away you go. That was how it was done for us. If you already have the truck Performax in Gympie or Brown Davis tanks in Melbourne will be able to help you with the tank.

If you have a choice of 18 or 20" wheels get 18" I have had to ship a 20 up from Melbourne to Mt Isa as I holed one on the Birdsville Track, none others in Australia for the size I required.

Cheers Merv

Merv,

My apologies! I missed your response. Thank you.

Just getting over the 200 meter stare after such a long drive.

Thanks for the info. I don't intend doing anything just yet but the info will be handy later.

Regards

Colin

Hello Koggers,

Today had my first tow of the TE with the Silverado. I know it is a horrible word but the experience was awesome! The driving power and stopping power are very impressive and allows me to be very relaxed behind the wheel.

The rig is one meter longer than it was with a LC up front. That does make a difference in backing and turning into park places etc. Also, as the Silverado has a much longer wheelbase than the LC the former has a bigger turning circle.

The standard built in functions are great. As soon as you insert the 7 pin plug the instrument panel flashed "Trailer Connected". When you start up and hit the hauling button it automatically adjusts gears etc for towing and a trailer icon appears in the instruments. Hit the exhaust brake button and drive off. The panel tells you the brake input setting and the brake gain whenever you touch the footbrake. The break controller comes standard and works well. Turn down the heated seat, adjust the music from the Bose speakers and relax......you are on your way carried by 400 HP and 1000 NM of torque!

OK, enough of the BS. On Tuesday we are off for a month with the van and I will provide an honest, warts and all, summary on my return.

Regards to all

Colin

Welcome to the Dark side.

It's far more relaxing and enjoyable than that other LC side

Hello Koggers,

Today had my first tow of the TE with the Silverado. I know it is a horrible word but the experience was awesome! The driving power and stopping power are very impressive and allows me to be very relaxed behind the wheel.

The rig is one meter longer than it was with a LC up front. That does make a difference in backing and turning into park places etc. Also, as the Silverado has a much longer wheelbase than the LC the former has a bigger turning circle.

The standard built in functions are great. As soon as you insert the 7 pin plug the instrument panel flashed "Trailer Connected". When you start up and hit the hauling button it automatically adjusts gears etc for towing and a trailer icon appears in the instruments. Hit the exhaust brake button and drive off. The panel tells you the brake input setting and the brake gain whenever you touch the footbrake. The break controller comes standard and works well. Turn down the heated seat, adjust the music from the Bose speakers and relax......you are on your way carried by 400 HP and 1000 NM of torque!

OK, enough of the BS. On Tuesday we are off for a month with the van and I will provide an honest, warts and all, summary on my return.

Regards to all

Colin

Col: "Gunna need a bigger van"...

Andrew

Hello Koggers,

For those interested in this subject the Weekend Australian has a news report on the demand for F trucks, Silverado's etc on page 10 and a full article on pages 14 and 15 of the Weekend A Plus.

Looks like there will be many more of these vehicles on the road.

The Cowboys was robbed!,, Again!!!

Regards

Colin

Hello Colin,

I don't suppose you would be able to scan the articles and email them Please? The joys of being remote LOL

Was it positive info?

Hello Colin,

I don't suppose you would be able to scan the articles and email them Please? The joys of being remote LOL

Was it positive info?

I found this on the web ,from the Weekend Australian

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/executive-living/motoring/conversion-win-opens-road-for-big-americans/story-fngmee2f-1227064594811

Nev

Hello,

What I found surprising in the articles is that 60% of the vehicles sold in the US are pickups and the Ford 250 is the most popular vehicle in the world, not just the US, the world.

The Silverado was the Pickup of the Year last year in the US. When I was in my youth the pickup of the year would have been Bridget Bardot! LOL

Regards

Colin

Jeez Colin

Me Too!

But have you seen a photo of her lately? Even worse than we look....

Well it is a changing world and I must admit to a few wrinkles myself. When i was much younger my interests were different, it is amazing how much the (Hi Ho) Chevy has taken my interest these days.... oh dear I am getting old...lol

We are really happy with the Chevy and Colin we are sure you will be as well.

Cheers

Greg & Cathy

Hi Greg and Cathy,

I purchased an electric razor so I can shave without looking in the mirror every morning!!

Today was our first real test of the Silverado towing the Top Ender. We are headed south and today we drove from Cairns to Townsville, 356 km. WOW! It is a world away from my faithful 100 Series. It is a totally different experience with huge power in both going and stopping. Just sat there on 100 km hr up hill and down dale. The exhaust brake is a godsend. Just fantastic.

Now this was all on Highway 1, and that is not the environment that led us to purchase a Top Ender. I have yet to give it a work out on dirt roads. But so far, in a word, fantastic!

Regards

Colin

Here is an update.

Now in Pottsville just over the border from Queensland. From Cairns to here we averaged 21.5 L per 100 km towing the TE with full water tanks, 300 l and driving on cruise control at 105 kph for most of the trip.

Driving was a dream. For the first time Gayleen did some driving on the highway with the van attached. I really enjoyed that and so did she. The exhaust brakes are a fantastic asset. We came down the Toowoomba range with absolute ease and confidence with the vehicle just sitting on the exhaust brakes. I have, over the past four years avoided the Toowoombw Range in the 100 Series LC. Not any more.

I don't want to sound like a PITA Silverado Salesman but, the 2000 km we have just completed has been the most relaxed we have experienced. It really is a different world.

Yet to give it a go on the dirt. That is my unanswered question about this vehicle. Otherwise, I am a convert.

Regards

Colin

Hello Colin,

I am glad you are enjoying the new vehicle. It is hard to explain to someone how more relaxing it is to tow a heavy van with a properly suited vehicle, not to mention the fact that you don't have to worry about the weight issues that everyone complains about. That's why I tell people to try it and then they will understand.

How good is it to be able to set the cruise and be able to do the speed with confidence? Plus how good is it to be able to sit on 100km and still have an unbelievable amount of power to burn when you put your foot down to overtake a truck or road train. ......................... Stress free.

The LC owners have no idea the pleasure they are missing out on.

The only downside I get is the fact that you tend to forget you are towing a van at times .............................. especially when you get into a shopping area and go to reverse park and then look in the mirror and then realize you still have the van on the back ..............................LOL

Happy motoring

Steve

Here is an update.

Colin,

What sort of fuel consumption did you get out of the L/C towing the van.

Neville

Now in Pottsville just over the border from Queensland. From Cairns to here we averaged 21.5 L per 100 km towing the TE with full water tanks, 300 l and driving on cruise control at 105 kph for most of the trip.

Driving was a dream. For the first time Gayleen did some driving on the highway with the van attached. I really enjoyed that and so did she. The exhaust brakes are a fantastic asset. We came down the Toowoomba range with absolute ease and confidence with the vehicle just sitting on the exhaust brakes. I have, over the past four years avoided the Toowoombw Range in the 100 Series LC. Not any more.

I don't want to sound like a PITA Silverado Salesman but, the 2000 km we have just completed has been the most relaxed we have experienced. It really is a different world.

Yet to give it a go on the dirt. That is my unanswered question about this vehicle. Otherwise, I am a convert.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

What wheels/tyres are on the truck? If you are running Goodyear Wrangler SR/A 265/60R20 be a bit wary they are like hens teeth to get. I recently could only get a second hand one in Melbourne and had to get it shipped to Mt Isa to get me out of trouble when I holed one on the Birdsville Track, hence I am dropping down to 18's which I have had shipped out from the USA as the tyres are easier to acquire here.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Colin

What wheels/tyres are on the truck? If you are running Goodyear Wrangler SR/A 265/60R20 be a bit wary they are like hens teeth to get. I recently could only get a second hand one in Melbourne and had to get it shipped to Mt Isa to get me out of trouble when I holed one on the Birdsville Track, hence I am dropping down to 18's which I have had shipped out from the USA as the tyres are easier to acquire here.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Merv,

Fortunately, my vehicle has 18 inch wheels.

Managing the Chev is certainly different from managing a Toyota and I learn something every day. Today was coolant . What to add and how to add it......a bit different. I am now on top of the Add Blue and have even encountered a bowser specially for it. That was in Emerald, Qld.

Regards

Colin

Check that you have hose clamps on the heater hoses as they pass through the firewall. Both in and outward, occasionally during conversion they are forgotten. Add blue, some of us don't have it........! But that is another story.

You are going to totally enjoy towing with that truck.

Cheers

Merv

UPDATE.

Towed the van from Pottsville NSW to Lawnton Qld, 164 km mainly along the freeway. Sat on 105 kph average fuel consumption 19.1 L/100 km

Happy with that.

Colin

Colin.

How does that compare to your L/C.

Neville.

Neville,

So far more economical hitched or unhitched. Overall, about 10 to 15 percent more economical. It is always hard to compare due to road and, importantly, head winds or tail winds. I can say, with confidence, it is at least equal to and , so far, more economical on fuel than my manual gearbox 100 Series 4.2 TD Land cruiser. But, irrespective of that the degree of safety, go power and stop power makes the Chev an an absolute winner. I am not going back!!!!

Having said that, I have not had it on dirt roads yet. That will be the ultimate test in my mind as that is what Gayleen and I love most.

Regards

Colin