Landcruiser 200 Series or Silverado

Tolley

Well, I did say I would report "warts and all". Here is the first wart!

Blew a head gasket in Wellington NSW enroute to Canberra. So, today has been one of those days. The Silverado is off to Dubbo on the back of a truck where repairs can start on Tuesday. With a bit of luck we will be motoring again in a week, next Friday.

These things always seem to happen on the Friday of a long weekend in NSW!

We have a good spot overloking the river in Wellington. Rent a car, from Dubbo, as they don't have such things in Wellington, which we will use to travel to Canberra to complete our mission.

Having a cold beer and both of us have retained our senses of humour!

As they say, most problems are solved with the application of time and money!

BTW, the support from American Motors in Taralgon where the conversion was done has been excellent.

Time for another beer!

Colin

Hi Colin & Gayleen,

Sorry to hear about your woes:-(

Are you getting both head gaskets (as in the other bank) replaced?

Hi Tony, I'll send you an email.

Colin

Hello Koggers,

Well, all warts are off! The blown head gasket turned out to be a severed heater hose. Two hoses were rubbing on one another and one was severed and hence started spilling coolant everywhere.

The people who looked at it in Wellington and did a pressure test missed the real cause and stated that it was a blown head gasket. They were wrong. In any case, It had to be taken to the nearest GM dealer and that was in Dubbo. They determined what the real cause was and rectified it. Cost $181 instead of several thousand. Phew!

So now we have our wonderful Chevy back we are very please with that.

All is well that ends well as someone once said. While the Chev was stabled in Dubbo over the long weekend, We have been to Canberra and back and completed all our business there. From that point of view, nothing is lost.

BTW, the country side here and in NSW in general is looking spectacular.......emerald green everywhere and really healthy looking stock and crops on the farms. Just beautiful.

Regards

Colin

More info.

Drove from Narrabri nsw to Grafton today. On leaving Glen Innis I zeroed the trip economy computer to see what fuel consumption I would get up and over the mountains. Anyone who has driven this road would know it is a roll-a-coaster with some serious ups and downs. Averaged 18.4 L,per 100 km in the Silverado and that is with 300 L of water in the belly.

Another thing. Before the Silverado I have not had any experience with exhaust brakes. The trip down from the mountains to Grafton is long and steep. Due to the exhaust brakes I hardly used my brakes; just set it up on the exhaust beakes and down it came. Fantastic!

Camped on a beautiful grassed bank of the Clarence River. How good is this life.

Colin

Hello,

I did write on this thread some time ago that I would give a "warts and all" review at the conclusion of our first Silverado trip. We are now home. 6,500 km was the distance we travelled with the van attached.

We had our issues in Wellington that turned out to be less than first thought. Thank goodness.

In driving comfort and towing capability there is absolutely NO comparison. It's Tiger Moth to F18 comparison remembering my Tiger Moth was a 2005 issue 100 Series 4.2 TD, manual transmission.

Economy? The Chev is marginally more economical that the Tiger Moth. Typically 20.5 L per 100 in the Chev compared to 23 L/100 in the Tiger Moth.

Vehicle Management. The Chev is a modern vehicle with all the computers and environmental characteristics. As such it is a more involved management issue than the LC. But all modern vehicles are the same.

Size? A little bigger than the LC but now the LC seems cramped. I drove the LC today.

Parking? Not an issue. I have not had a problem to date and that include shopping mall car parks in Brisbane.

So, that is about it. There is NO WAY that I would revert to towing my Top Ender with a LC, be it a 200 series or whatever.

Dirt roads. Have not been there extensively yet. So, no comment. The little I have done did not cause any alarms.

So, there you go.

Regards

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

In the discussion in this thread the legitimate concern was raised about where and how a Silverado would be serviced. Today, I have had the Silverado serviced at the Cairns Holden Dealer. They have no problem, didn't 't even blink when I booked it in. Today I spoke to the Service Manager there. He said, no problem we have all the details in our systems and that there are a few of them around. Similarly, when I had the false alarm in Wellington the Dubbo Holden Dealer had a similar attitude.

So, if servicing is a stalling factor for you, forget it. It is just another GM vehicle.

Regards

Colin

Yes it is another GM vehicle....

If you were to book it in at a Ford/Toyota dealer for a straight service, in today's economic climate I feel they would be happy to service it also, bearing in mind that they wouldn't have as easy access to factory service bulletins & procedures. But very easily obtainable on the internet.

Just a feeling I have Col, bearing in mind I have been in the trade for toooo many years now.....the 'truck' service is now done & everything is up to date..... so all is good, can I suggest you keep your ear to the ground & look out for an independent repairer who will have or should have (more?) experience than a drippy nosed dealership apprentice.

My experience (for what its worth) leads me to believe you should pay less per hour for his services/knowledge OR at least get a whole lot more per hour!

Your vehicle is now out of its warranty period, so you shouldn't feel tied to a GM dealership, but if you get comfort, service & satisfaction from them, then that is good & reassuring for you!

Many vehicle owners are bluffed into believing that they must take their pride & joy back to a dealership for service during the warranty period..... this is just a ploy by ALL manufactures. As long as the vehicle is serviced by a licensed repairer, using genuine parts there is NO way warranty can be denied.

I'm very happy to hear that you are 'settling' into your new vehicle, my tyre kicking exercises continue..... re the possibility of a new 'tug'

Hugs for Gayleen :D

Hello Tony and thank you for your good advice. If I lived anywhere near you I would be asking if you would look after the vehicle as its personalised mechanic!!

I have to say Tony that I greatly respect your knowledge and experience. Also, having watched and listened to you during our recent trip together I admire the way you impart your knowledge to others. I have been around instructors of technical things a great deal in my life and I can recognise a gifted instructor when I see one. I am sure others on our trip would endorse my words including the Bushtracker owner we met at Parachilna!

I will keep my ear to the ground for a good non dealership service techo. Funnily enough, I do know a good Toyota man here in Cairns that now works for himself.

The Duramax engine in the Silverado is actually an Isuzu engine made in a joint venture in Ohio USA between Isuzu and GM. So, the knowledge out there is widespread.

Regards

Colin

Hello,

For those who may be interested in the big American trucks for towing the link below will be of some interest. It is a US comparison of the Dodge Ram, Ford 350 and GMC Denial. Remember, the only difference between the GMC and the Silverado is the grille and hood.

/>http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/10/2015-heavy-duty-truck-comparison.html

If you don't want to read the article the clear winner is the GMC followed by Ford and Dodge last. Phew! :rolleyes:

Regards

Colin

Colin ....................... wash your mouth out :o. There is a lot more of a difference between a Silverado and a GMC than the bonnet and grill.

The GMC has a lot more shinny bits and a higher level of luxury. Plus it is spelt different :P. Now go sit in the corner until you have learnt your lesson

Cheers

Colin ....................... wash your mouth out There is a lot more of a difference between a Silverado and a GMC than the bonnet and grill.

The GMC has a lot more shinny bits and a higher level of luxury. Plus it is spelt different Now go sit in the corner until you have learnt your lesson

Cheers

OK :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To end the story. No turning back now. The faithful 100 Series TD Landcruiser has been sold. I waited until the New Year to advertise it. First person to look at it purchased it. What a good vehicle it was for us and will be for the new owner. Six years ago I purchased it second hand for $49k. It had 58,000 km on it. Sold it for $39K with 237,600 km on it. It will do another 500,000 if it is looked after.

Very happy with the Silverado. Amazing how many people want to talk about it and have a look all over. And, they are not all blokes!

Regards

Colin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

We are almost home in Cairns after a rushed trip from Cairns to Canberra and back again. All highway driving sitting on a tad over 100 kph. For those interested my vehicle computer tells me we are averaging 19.1 LP100 KM. That is about three LP100 KM better than my 100 Series would have returned. BTW, the fuel prices are a joy at the moment.

Colin

Good morning Colin,

How accurate is the computer in the Chevy to the actual fill from the Bowser as our Land cruiser Sahara gives a rough average& can be out by 10 to 15% & it is only when I fill up do I get the true amount of fuel used.

Thanks Neville.

Neville and Kay,

At the moment I have no idea but at the conclusion of the trip I will calculate using fuel used from the vehicle computer and kms travelled. I am going to do the same for the ad blue to see how many K's I do per litre. I will post the results. BTW, I do not care which is the most economical as the Chev is a vastly better and safer towing vehicle for my TE. So, if it is more expensive on fuel, which I doubt, I really do not care.

Regards

colin

• Like 1

Hi Neville

Ours is a 2012 with a 230ltr fuel tank and over the time that we have had the truck the difference between the computer and what is actually used has only been on average 10 ltrs out, but that can also depend on how much froth we get from some fuel pumps. I run a H & S Performance tow tune which has increased the power output by another 40 horses and with this tuner I have recalibrated the tyre/wheel size and the speedo which gives me a more accurate reading, this is then checked using the GPS, so my speedo reads correctly and hence the trucks computer. We average between 17 and 19.5 ltrs per 100kms towing the TE at usually 100kph up hills and down dales.

Cheers

Merv

Neville and Kay,

Considering what Merv has written, above, I reckion my average fuel consumption might be misleading. I notice that my speedo overreads in that 100 kph on the GPS shows as 102 kph on the speedo. That would make sense as the Silverado in standard form has 20 inch wheels whereas most of them in Oz have 18 inch wheels. I cannot do an accurate check on fuel used and kms travelled as I have only recorded caravan kms. I did, on the most recent trip, a fair bit of unhitched running around.

In terms of AdBlue my rough calculation is that I use about a litre for every 400 km when towing

Colin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello KOG American truck owners,

Since acquiring the Silverado I have not towed using the WDH torsion bars. The rig sits level and rides beautifully. The Silverado has rear airbags which I have been running as 30 PSI when towing.

I have carried the WDH gear with me, "just in case" but would like to leave it at home.

From your experience, is that a smart idea?

Regards

Colin

Hello Colin,

I was like you and carried them like a security blanket for "Just in case", but I ditched the bars 12 months ago as they definitely are no longer required.

We have done plenty of "On Road" and "Off/Dirt Road travel and have not had any issues to warrant using them ever again.

So let go .................... set them free ........ save yourself the hassle of carrying them

Cheers

Hi guys

Towbars Australia in Nambour sell the 4.5t solid 4" drop tongue which is where I got ours from and they provided a great back up service after we bent the tongue on our trip up the Cape last year. Yes, they can still bend with the weight of the TE on it after doing many swan dives. The airbags have now softened this happening. WDH, haven't used them, not required.

Cheers

Merv