Tick Season

Jacky Jacky

There seems to be a lot of ticks around at this time not only getting onto dogs but also us humans. Having experienced tick bites and subsequent muscle pain after the tick was pulled out I was looking up the best way to pull it off the skin.

For those of you who like to bushwalking I thought this recent article on how to extract a tick might be on interest - http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/tick-allergies-on-the-rise-during-peak-season/story-fnii5s3x-1227107544179

They say there is no lymes disease (spread by ticks) in Australia despite some people being diagnosed as such.

Bit here about lymes disease - http://www.lymedisease.org.au/about-lyme-disease/myths-surrounding-lyme-disease-in-australia/

• Like 1

Jacky Jacky,

A timely reminder. They seem extra bad this season.

On Tuesday our little Dotti came down with a paralysis tick. Tuesday night it was touch and go if she would survive - thankfully she did. Now back home being nursed and kept quiet. Our neighbour's dog had five paralysis ticks late last week and spent five days in intensive care on oxygen.

The old timers around here say they are bad because we have not had any rain.

Regards to both of you!

Colin

Jacky Jacky,

A timely reminder. They seem extra bad this season.

On Tuesday our little Dotti came down with a paralysis tick. Tuesday night it was touch and go if she would survive - thankfully she did. Now back home being nursed and kept quiet. Our neighbour's dog had five paralysis ticks late last week and spent five days in intensive care on oxygen.

The old timers around here say they are bad because we have not had any rain.

Regards to both of you!

Colin

Colin, sorry to hear Dotti got a tick but glad to hear she is on the mend. Our regards to you & Gayleen.

Jacko, We can confirm the lymes disease stories. Lynn was unlucky enough to contract it from a tick bite 2 years ago. She was fortunate in seeing an ex-british doc who had seen it before and spotted it and prescribed the appropriate antibiotics. Timing is critical if I recall with only about a 3 day window to start the antibiotics. She has had no further symptoms.

Regards

Chris.

Ann, thank you for this advice. I would not have thought of a freezing method of removal....now to get a tin of the appropriate spray!

Chris