Off road Stuff

Brenton

Greetings Kloggers

Just completed the Plenty, Donahue Highways through to Boulia and the Birdsville Track and the XC3 breezed through it all. The Plenty highway prior to Jervois was testing. Good news for those following it was in the process of being repaired, being so dry the road surface in many places had collapsed into sandy holes making those sort of conditions Kedrons are designed for. The owner of Gem Tree said that cars were getting lost in the holes but he did exaggerate a little.

I placed some foam rubber between the screen door over the vent and only used duct tape over the range hood vent. That worked a treat but the rear window let some dust in and I'm sure I wouldn't have been alone with that problem.

Short of taping up the window next time has anyone found a better solution for that problem?

Somewhere south of Birdsville and before Mungerannie I ended up with bare trailer wires losing both the 7 pin and anderson plugs. They were hanging a little low probably about right now!! The RAA an at Copley said it is a common problem and sees 3 or 4 a week cost us $110.00 which seemed fair for a good job. The Birdsville Track was badly corrigated in places especially for a couple of hours after travelling south from the Town. Again has anyone got any ideas to keep them attached.

On the upside my 215 Waeco Fridge worked a treat in the heat (46c at Gem Tree) plenty of sun for the 2 panels and two batteries and towing with the 150 Prado well that Van just sits back there behaving itself through thick and thin. (tyres down to 25 psi except the rear of the Prado at 30psi worked well many thanks to the previous advice)

Cheers Lyn and Brenton

Hi Lyn and Brenton

thanks for the info i did the mod on the range hood vent so that i didn't have to gaffer tape it every time i hit a dusty road , i think rear kitchens are worse , i have left a modified vent with Kedron for our new XC3 so they can install it from new , its simple but it works , i glad that the Waeco works well in high temps , being in Tassie the lack of solar input in winter means that we end up with flat batteries after 2 days with no solar input , so our new van will have 4 x 140w panels plus 3 x 120 amp batteries , may be a bit of an overkill in sunny QLD but not in Tassie , would be happy to do the mods for the range hood at cost if anybody wants them

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lyn and Brenton

We did the Plenty to Boulia, Birdsville after the Ulysses AGM (did not take the bike) (at little different to the races in 2006) and Great Central Road a couple of years ago. I am interested in your mod for the range hood. We have a rear kitchen. And we live at Turners Beach.

Cheers

Rod

Hi Rod

It was a simple mod , what i did was to take the old plastic vent out cut the louvres out put it in my lathe and bore it out to suit a 2" hi pressure water socket , i then glued a peice of pipe in the socket and used a 2" high pressure cap to push over the end of the pipe , this just slides on , the socket is then Sika Flexed into the bored out vent

post-1372-0-53289300-1416944173_thumb.jp