Boot gas struts

Bas

Hi to all

The gas struts on the left side front boot suddenly got a bit tired (don't we all?) and it was not a practical alternative to use my head to hold the lid up. When installing a lift up bed base in a Golf we previously owned, I phoned Golf and spoke to one of the original owners of the business, about strut lengths and pressures etc.

He was more than happy to help, and advised me to visit Sentry Lincoln at Acacia Ridge (Cahill 3244 3244) to source the struts. The price I bought them for from Sentry was far less than other quotes I had obtained.

So I toddled off to Sentry to see about some replacement boot struts and bought two for under $25. They are 5mm longer (330mm rather than 325mm, are the correct pressure, have a slightly bigger shaft, and the attaching ball/nut of the old ones can be removed and easily and fitted into the new struts.

Cheers

Barry

• Like 2

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the good information, a bit late for me, I purchased 2 replacement struts for the boot also about 1 month ago, identical to the original and cost $84.00 for the 2, have recorded your info for next time.

32Kev

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had to replace the front boot lid struts on the van. I visited the Strut Re-Gas chap Hervey Bay and told him what I would like. He advised me to get longer struts and he worked out where they would have to be mounted on the bin doors. The bottom mountings did not have to move. The new struts allowed the bin doors to open approximately 150ml higher. I was still trying to gain better access so I moved the stone guard forward approx 100ml. This allowed me access behind the stone guard and able to look in the bins with out hitting my head :D This has made life a lot more pleasant with out the additional expletives.

Clive :P

• Like 1