Gary Junction Road

Chris

Later this year we are travelling on the Gary Junction Road (GJR) from Alice Springs and on to Marble Bar in WA. I know a few Kedronners have been on this track and would value any comments or advice.

We will be in a small convoy of three vans and heading out from Redbank Gorge (in the West MacDonnell Ranges up to Papunya and then Westwards. Has anyone recently travelled on that short (61 kms) stretch from the bitumen end of Namatjira Dve to Papunya, and in the process going past Haasts Bluff? The GJR properly encompasses this stretch of track. As we will be camping out in the West Macs anyway, that is the way we would like to go.

My planning includes having contact with each community we will be accessing fuel at, and so I have been focussing on getting correct phone numbers and opening hours for Papunya, Kintore, Kiwirrkurra and Kunawarritji.

When we get to Marble Bar we plan to camp at Carawine Gorge and understand it is lovely there. I also understand if you go into the wrong spots you can get bogged by pesky and deceptive little river rocks.

So any comments or advice adding to our planning will be most welcome. The three areas we would like advice on are:

• the Namatjira Drive to Papunya Track
  • the GJR itself
  • Marble Bar/Carawine Gorge

I look forward to your comments!

Chris

• Like 1

How interesting; no one on the forum has been on the Gary Junction Road or camped near Marble Bar. Or they are not willing to disclose it if they have!

I have put a similar request on a couple of other gorums and sites and received a wealth of feedback which has been wonderful.

In June we will embark on this track, setting out from our camp in the West MacDonnell Ranges, and a few weeks later head back to the Stuart Highway on the Gibb River Road. I will provide a trip report once we have finished each stage lf the trip, so future KOGGERS can be better informed about the region and this Track.

Chris

• Like 2

Hi Chris

We have camped at Marble Bar in 2010, we found a big flat spot near the airport 'terminal'.

We camped at Carawine Gorge for a couple of days. There were a few bog holes on the way in. The stoney river bed in the gorge can be quite soft under it. We found that out after 2 raging bulls decided to have a fight just near our Kedron, nearly got bogged doing a hasty exit. The bulls settled down when a couple of old cows came along.

From Marble Bar we did an excursion south to an abandend WW2 secret airbase, that was interesting. You can get the details from the pub in Marble Bar.

Can't help with the roads/ tracks you intend to take; travel safe thou.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks Chris

Will look forward to your trip report as we are planning on travelling the Gary Junction road in 2016.

I was also pleasantly surprised that you received no feed back.

Warm Regards John

• Like 1