Cracked chassis on Top Ender

Sullie

We have just completed the Birdsville Track and at Mitchell we discovered the chassis cracked in two places where the A Frame attaches to the chassis. We have been told it could of been the road from Windorah and Mitchell, then we have been told from others that they put the blame on our Chevy Silverado, due to the chevy being so rigid. Has anyone else had this sort of problem.

Sullie, I have a TE and a Silverado so I am interested in your comment. Any chance you can supply a photo of the cracks and exactly where they are on your van? The bit about the Chevy "being so rigid" seems to me to lack logic. The van and the truck are joined together with a fully articulating hitch!

Regards

Colin

Hi Sullie

It would surprise me as well as we tow with a Silverado. I think that you would find the chassis cracking where it has is due to the "duck diving" "loop the loop" "roller coaster" rides that occurs on quite a lot of our roads, it applies to numerous vans around that have had this damage to the "A" frames. We have fitted a set of rear air bags to compensate for this very thing and has softened this area of concern that I no longer worry about it. Prior to fitting the air bags we actually bent a 4.5t solid tow tongue on our trip to the Cape last year doing "duck dives".

Cheers

Merv

Hello Sullie

We too have just completed the Birdsville track 2 weeks ago, plus many more other tracks which was far worse than the Birdsville Track with our GMC (Silverado) with no issues. I am not sure about the road from Windorah and Mitchell, but the Birdsville Track was VERY easy except from a bit of stone damage as you would expect from the Sturt Stony Desert.

We are also running at 4Ton for the van which I am sure would add more stress to the van components.

I am interested to see what the conclusion is for you.

Thanks for all your replies. I have attached two photos of the cracked chassis, its where the A frame joins the chassis. Will post a further update when we hear from the insurance company.

post-1261-0-67410800-1432169670_thumb.jp

post-1261-0-07628700-1432169807_thumb.jp

Hi Merv our van is December 2009. We chose to get the welding done once the assessor had viewed the chassis and we still havent heard whether Ken Tame are going to pay, will keep you informed

We have been rejected for the insurance claim under Ken Tame, he states in his letter that it is structural failure due to wear and tear.

The Assessor revealed both chassis have cracked from van bottoming out causing rails to crack on the pivot point, which defintely didnt happen.

So not very hapoy.

Hi Sullie,

Very sorry to hear of your dilemmas, not that I'm any expert but it would be very unusual for Ken Tame to knock back a legitimate claim, (bearing in mind that the insurer is Allianz) who probably knocked back the claim..... I would be making a lot of NOISE to KT's & record dates & times on all conversations with them. Please keep us up dated on your endeavours.

On a side issue.....before the moderators jump on you .......it would have been better to post the above comments on your original post about your chassis rather than starting a new thread.

Cheers

Sullie

If I am looking at your photos correctly I see a butt weld without any reinforcing at a high stress point in the chassis/Aframe junction.

To prevent a crack starting in the weld at this point I believe there should have been an angled plate across the corner spreading the loads and stresses.

I would put the problem down to a design issue.

Any repair you have done should include reinforcing at this point particularly as welding the galvanised chassis without zinc inclusion will be difficult.

Cheers

John

Sorry to see your problem Sullie

But are you sure the assessor isn't correct in that you hit a big pothole (had an accident) which maybe covered, as opposed to fatigue/wear and tear.

Mabe even get an invoice for a wheel alignment check on the car that hit that same pothole ;)

I'm not a solicitor, but was in a similar spot to you with insurance ,,accident vs wear and tear.

Good luck Ken

There are a lot of Kedrons out there and I've never heard of another "wearing" like this. Looks like unusual and accidental damage to me. Perhaps Kedron can support your claim showing statistically that this isn't normal wear for a TopEnder, which is purpose designed and built for rough road travel?

Sorry to hear of your problem and hope you get a good outcome.

Andrew

Hi Sully,

Just got back on the internet and read of your problem, mate I know how you feel same thing happened to me.

I have a 2008 ATV and last year by accident noticed that the pipe fitted under the A frame for strength had broken off at the front of the A frame on both sides, I will add I have air bag suspension on the van and was towing with a 100 series land cruiser at the time.

I contacted Kedron to see if they could shed some light on why this may have happened as my van has done no rough roads at all, although some of our sealed roads are worse, well Kedron did say they would gather info and get back to me, 12 months later still no word from them, I decided to not go through insurance company and have it done through an engineering place my self.

It was then they discovered that my chassis had cracked on both sides also where if fixes to the van, had the repairs done and a stronger way of supporting the length of the A frame, total costs $1200.

Cheers

32Kev

• Like 1

• 6 months later...