McHitch Coupling

Ian and Jill Brown

Hi Everyone.

We have a 2007 18' internal TE that I am thinking about replacing the Hyland hitch with a McHitch.

As our van has a healthy tow ball weight - slightly above the 350kg's I was wondering if those that have the McHitch are still using their weight distribution bars and which is the better hitch (for general towing) the 4.5 tonne or 6 tonne?

We are towing with a LC200.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian

G`Day Ian

We had the original McHitch fitted using the 6 tonne ,because there was only 3.5 and 6 tonne available back then . We recently had the hitch converted to a Mc Hitch Easy hitch. Joe supplied us with roller bearings for the WDH ,and so far we have crushed 2 sets. :angry: So tried without WDH Did not seem to make any difference to the towing ,so now we don`t use them.I still keep them handy just in case.We tow a 7 yr. old ATV 20 ft.Weighing in at 3.4 tonnes fully loaded. Weighed at Maryborough Qld. 2 weeks ago.

Hi Ian,

I have had the new 4.5 tonne McHitch Auto Coupler fitted to our 2007 ATV2 now for approx three months, which replaced the very well used & slightly worn Hyland coupling.

In the three months I've had it fitted, I have traveled approx 10,000k's, Saying I am happy with it would be an understatement........it really is fantastic, so very easy to use, no operational noise, no greasy ball or coupling. Wish they were available years ago.

Like Rick, above I don't use WDH bars either. I have never weighed my van .......but I suspect it would be heavier than Ricks.......one reason I've never weighed it.

Usual disclaimer.....just a happy customer & no affiliation with McHitch

• Like 2

I endorse remarks above, I use the 6 ton version also. I do use weight distribtuion system and it works well on the black top. stops a bit of the pitching and makes for a smoother ride

Leon

Hello Ian,

I have used 6 tonne UniGlide Drop-on McHitch and associated gear sitting in my garage shelf looking for an owner. It is surplus to my requirements. It came off my Top Ender. If you are interested I would do a great deal for you. Send me a Pm.

Regards

Colin

Hi Ian

We are at the moment on the road heading from Victoria to Broome via the Great Central Hwy and I can share my experience with you.

Towing a 2013 twenty one foot ATV fitted with a 6 ton McHitch with a 2014 GXL Landcruiser which has the standard GXL suspension fitted with Heavy duty ARB airbags. For the first time when towing a van in the past 10 years I decided not to use the WDB and have found that I will not be going back to using them anytime soon. I run between 30 to 40 PSI in the airbags according to the load I have on board. At present my ball weight on the van is 340 klg. Both van and car have behaved perfectly.

I hope my experience will be able to help you make the correct decision for yourself.

Warm Regards

John Faranda

Waiting for our mc hitch auto coupler .Joe have me the run down and benefits must say I'm over the old highland hitch time to replace it hopefully It will make life a little easier

John

They are a great piece of machinery to assist hooking up but I saved myself $600.00 and taught my wife how to reverse the truck onto the van. Now all she wants to do is tow with the Chev all the time......

Cheers

Merv

feeling unwanted......

• 3 months later...

Installed the 6 tonne auto coupling last month very easy to operate great system !!

Also installed air bags to our 100 s landcruiser and tried with and without the WDH bars

and will be leaving them home in future as the ride without is exellent ,meaning less

weight love it.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All….this is my first note into the system having purchased our 19'6 Cross Country in March - Love it

I have the upright pin Mc Hitch system and I am have considerable difficulties aligning the car to the van.

While I am not a complete novice at this i can readily reverse to position the pin directly below its socket on the van.

The problem stems from the issue that the two guiding "knobs " must be totally aligned ( almost in a straight line ) in order for

the McHitch to lock fully into place.

Anyone else having the same issue or am I doing something wrong ?

Stewart Gilchrist

Hi Stewart,

Hopefully this will help/assist you, sorry I'm not familiar with your setup as I have the 'new' auto coupler setup.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXuzcBtWQWE

or contact Joe

http://www.mchitch.com.au/#!contact/cdds

Hi Stewart,

Sometimes the 'corners' of the locating pins can be too severe and you may have to take a file to them. You will not need to take a lot off - just enough to ensure the locating pin doesn't foul on the tongue where they will locate - so an angled profile is what you are aiming at. On occasion when I attempt to hitch up at a significant angle to the tongue/pin and I end up with the head not locating perfectly, a gentle persuasion with my foot against the hitch head helps a lot!

Hope this all makes sense.

Brian