Location of Registration Plate

Hi, Has anybody in the group heard of caravaners being booked because their registration plates are too high on the back of the van. We have been told the height should be 1.3 meters off the ground. I have just had a browse through the Australian Design Rules and they did not seem to have a section for caravans. Can anybody help? Regards Gordon& Chris Carrer

• Like 1

G`day Gordon & Chris

I think you would have to be very,very unlucky to be booked for that "offence"??.There was a kerfufle on another forum about it about a month ago. The bottom line was that no one on the forum (50000 members) had actually been booked personally,but there was the usual"my next door neighbours uncles ,sons etc." So bottom line ,as long as it is not obscured from behind you should be OK.

Cheers

Rick

P.S. Where are you now? :)

• Like 1

Hi Gordon & Chris

As Rick notes, this was discussed extensively on another forum, including a letter from the regulatory authority - see:

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58145&p=819324&hilit=rego+plate+height#p819324 (Webby, apologies and please delete if this is inappropriate under forum rules).

I understand its an old design rule that was not followed very much or enforced until now. Maybe its the new plate scanning technology that's requiring compliance?Like Rick, I've not heard of anyone actually being pulled up or fined, but the NSW penalty is over $200 plus 3 demerit points. I'm in the process of relocating mine to the rear bumper between the spare wheels and know of several other KOGGERS who've already moved theirs. The tricky bit is running wires for the number plate light. I'm waiting on advice from Kedron on the best way to do this, probably from one of the side running lights near the rear corner of the van.

Hope this is helpful and we see you on the road before too long.

Best regards

Andrew.

• Like 3

Here's some more info from NSW RMS website. Note the fine is much higher than I noted previously - see "incorrectly fixed" plate

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/index.cgi?fuseaction=demeritpoints.browsehandler&category=Licence+%26+registration&offence=Number+plates

The Road Transport (General) Regulation 2005 defines vehicle classes as follows:

• Class A motor vehicle:
    • A motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) less than 4.5 tonnes, or
    • A motor vehicle and trailer combination with a Gross Combined Mass (GCM) less than 4.5 tonnes.

• Class B motor vehicle:
    • A motor vehicle with a GVM more than 4.5 tonnes but less than 12 tonnes, or
    • A motor vehicle and trailer combination with a GCM more than 4.5 tonnes but less than 12 tonnes.

• Class C motor vehicle:
    • A motor vehicle with a GVM more than 12 tonnes, or
    • A motor vehicle and trailer combination with a GCM more than 12 tonnes.

• A motor vehicle and trailer combination with a GCM more than 12 tonnes.

• Like 2

Hi Ric & Lea and Andrew & Sally, Thank you for your help, Gordon contacted Kedron today and we are going to get Kedron to make the changes in a couple of weeks, apparently Kedron have a few people waiting have their vans fixed.

Ric, In answer to our location we are home as I am recovering from neck surgery. Regards Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris

Sorry to hear you've been grounded with surgery. We hope all's good now and you're on the mend.

Perhaps Gordon could let us know how Kedron relocate the plate as a number of us are trying to work out the best way to do it. I've emailed Kedron for advice but not received a reply.

Regards

Andrew

• Like 1

Hello Sue,

Did Kedron do your modification?

Also what have you done to hide the holes where the number plate was situated previously?

Look forward to any replies,

Thanks,

Clive

Hi everyone

The photos Webby posted yesterday were of our ATV for two, I don't know how to do that. Kedron changed the number plate location back in May as a trial retrofit.

The wiring for the new number plate light is taken from the right hand tail light, down through the cavity behind the checker plate, but make sure it comes out to the right of the centre line of the rear of the van (there is an aluminium rib of the frame running vertically down the centre line).. They put a red reflector over the old hole and rivets in the holes where the number plate was.

Kedron did a great job and we're very happy with the new number plate location.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks Pete, that's really helpful and confirms much of what I'm planning. Unfortunately getting up to Kedron isn't an option so I have to do it myself. Getting into the tail lights isn't easy so I'm looking at the side lamp nearest the rear, but even getting that out is proving a challenge. Still chasing Kedron for advice but no response yet.

• Like 1

We dropped our van into Kedron yesterday to have some other work done. Ask Ashley about the number plate being moved. Unfortunately the two spare wheels are a bit too close on our van to allow the number plate to go between. Ashley assures us he will work something out. Will keep you posted when we collect the van.

Clive

When we purchased our second hand van from Kedron in March we got 6 months QLD rego, which will run out soon , so we are looking to change it over to NSW Rego . It will be interesting to see if this is picked up as an issue when the van goes over the pits ..

• Like 1

When we purchased our second hand van from Kedron in March we got 6 months QLD rego, which will run out soon , so we are looking to change it over to NSW Rego . It will be interesting to see if this is picked up as an issue when the van goes over the pits ..

We did the same and went through this process in 2011. Happy to share our experience and tips if this helps - just PM me, It depends on the heavy vehicle inspector as to what they pick up or let through. Our inspection took over 2 hours but overlooked the NSW requirement for a remote Breaksafe battery monitor (since installed). As noted above I'm in the process of relocating the number plate to avoid any future hassles or fines.

• Like 1