Brake Controller Location

BJW44

Hi Jim.

I have a Tekonsha, but the reason I am commenting is that I origially had it where the ashtray is, but had it moved to the usual left side of the steering wheel near the left knee. The reason being ease of access in emergency van breaking. Have had to use it on the Kalumburu Road and I am thankful that I moved it...

Regards

Chris

Hi Jim might be worth looking at the ARB red arch system. fits under the dash with just the switch on the outside which allows you to dial up the brake intensely as well as emergency stop by pushing the button. fits nicely in the right hand corner and no

interference with air bags. I had mine installed 12 months and have no experienced any problems.

Warm Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

We had a P3 in our 100 series. Now we have a nice new 200 series and it came with a tow pack fitted with the new Redarc Tow Pro. It works really well,is proportional and a lot easier to operate than the P3. Im really happy with it.

Its not the same unit as the older solid state type that arent proportional.

If you have stability control fitted to the van such as DSC you will need a load resistor fitted but thats about all.

We had a remote type VHF fitted that has all the controls on the microphone. Its mounted behind in the middle of the dash out of sight. I had a good auto electrician fit it.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu.

Thanks for your response.

The tow pro is the way I will go for the brake controller, I haven't decided on the UHF radio yet but the type you have described sound like it may be worth looking into.

Regards Jim.

Hi Jim

I got my GME TX3540 from GadgetCity online, they were the cheapest, but some offer deals which include aerials so have a good look at them. Mine was $398.00 del. I use a 6+dbi 900mm aerial which gives me good overall reception which I have fitted it into a factory mount position on the Chev. But I have also fitted a 3g aerial using a "bonnet mount" because I too don't have or want a bull bar. There are specific models of the mount available for various vehicles so just ask Mr Google.. "CB bonnet mount 200 series LandCruiser".
post-1259-0-32246200-1445211938_thumb.jp

Sorry photo got rotated.
Cheers
Merv

Hi Merv & Jim

Merv,

With that aerial mounting bracket & the size (length) & weight of the aerial doesn't the mount flex & potentially crack & damage the paintwork?

Jim,

Have a look at this link

https://www.autoelec.com.au/ssl/public_autoelec/store_v4/product_detail.asp?id=1351&cat=49

CU down the road....

Hi all.

I have arranged to have the Redarc Tow-Pro brake controller installed next week along with the Tow-Pac at the dealership.

I have also purchased a GME TX3550 S 5watt 80 channel LCD speaker microphone UHF Radio + Uniden AT870 6db Antenna.

As the radio has a pure sound path mic/speaker and also a speaker on the radio body, this I have installed under the driver's seat which is out of the way.

I purchased this unit as a package from Gadget City $419.00 which after a lot of research consider it to be a good price.

As for the antenna placement I have to decided to go the bull bar install as I have got a good price for the install through the dealership.

The next thing is the Redarc dual battery isolator Anderson plug and the constant 12vlt power plug to the rear of the vehicle for the Engel Fridge.

Eventually I will upgrade the batteries to lager capacity prior to our trip next year but for now the new OME ones will do.

I would like to thank everybody for their advice and input for my project.

Kind Regards Jim.