Problem with Waeco fridge. Please help!

Ben

Hi folks

I have a 2013 XC with a 215 Waeco fridge. I'm currently staying at South West Rocks NSW. Max day temp has been 27c. I cannot get the fridge to get below 10.4c. I pulled the fridge out and checked whilst the compressor was running and have 14.3 volts to the compressor. The freezer is at -17c but the fridge won't drop below 10.4c. Does anyone have any idea what the problem would be. The fan is running at the back of the fridge. Fridge stats say it should pull about 7.4amps when under full load however the monitor inside the van shows it only using .3amp when the compressor is running? I'm on 240v so battery capacity is at 100% with volts at 14.3. I have removed everything from the fridge. Checked the internal temp via three separate electronic devices all read the same at 10.4c

any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks. Ben. 

Hi Ben

Have no experience with Waeco, but with Vitrefrigo if there is an ice build up in the freezer section, the fridge section temp suffers. However, as you pulled the fridge out to check voltage etc, it is likely you will have defrosted the freezer.

Bas

Hi Ben

It sounds like your defrost heater element might be on the blink which causes the unit to freeze and not allow the cooler air to drop down to the fridge.  Basically it clogs the fridge.

A quick phone call to Kedron in the morning would be your best bet and take their advice of which way to go from there.  A local fridge mechanic might be able to assist, we have had a couple of our home fridges come up with this problem over the years and it is a simple fix with a new heater element being installed.

Good luck 

Merv

Hi Ben

I'll be interested in the outcome with this one. Our RPD 215 has had a problem since new (van is just a year old) with its performance. Had it back numerous times to waeco/dometic with the same problem you have described. We have been told there's nothing wrong, but when you get high temperatures inside the fridge I think we have a problem. Our compressor continually runs on whatever setting you put it on and the back cooling plate is thick of ice. I hope you can get it sorted out. 

Regards Paul

• Like 1

Righto well the results are in. Apparently the fridges automatically go into a defrost mode all by themselves and there is not indication that's what they are doing. Once I had ruled out poor voltage as the problem I turned it off over night and fired it up the next morning. It is now sitting on 2.1c on setting 3. I spoke with the fridge whisper guy today at Cobulture who informed me about the auto defrost mode. His advice was if you see the temp slowly climbing. Leave the door closed and it will return to normal range within a day or so. Seems such a stupid way for the fridge to defrost as any cold meats milk etc would all go off if the temp remains above 6-7c for a prolonged period. Got me stuffed!

• Like 1

I had same problem and I would turn the fridge off for 30 seconds every month, this worked until 5 days ago , woke up in morning and 14c .

We had problems from the start , fridge whisper twice . He tells us working fine , yes it works for about a month.

I believe this RPD 215 are not made to use continuously . I know of other vans with same problem .

Best fix take it to the dump where they should all be and buy a RPD218 which is made for our climate.

All you need to do is cut the opening 20mm higher.

Nev

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

We had similar problems with our RPD215. It just wouldn't perform and was chewing up too much power.

We bit the bullet and replaced it with the RPD-218 which is a way better design. 

Many thanks Nev for the advice on getting the changeover done hassle free.

cheers

Stu

• Like 2

Just opened forum ,I have had the same problem ,try turning the MAIN POWER OFF TO FRIDGE (all power to fridge must be off) leave off 30 sec for the computer board to reset then turn on .Hope it works .

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi 

I have been experiencing similar problems with the RPD215, when I load it full of food the temperature goes up then it really struggles to get back down hence it chews up the battery power.

I have had Dometic put data logs in but only with no food, and shows it working ok.

The now want to pull the fridge out and put it in their workshop for a week or so to see how it runs, I questioned that as it is not running under the same operating conditions as in the van.

Is the 218 a much better fridge??

How does it go when off the grid if you only get around 5hrs of Solar??

Thinking about changing to a Three Way fridge never had trouble with one of those before.

Looking forward to some advice 

Warren 

Hi Warren

If your fridge is going all the time and not coming back to temperature ,i put in a small computer fan ,tie it to the top rail with some cable ties ,wired it up to the power from the door light ,this then moves the air around ( must blow onto the back plate of the fridge ) and i have found it works extremely well in 35/40 c temps .
I have had 2 computer boards put in so far ,the fridge is the week link in a Kedron caravan every thing else works very well.

Thanks for that, speaking to Dometic they say you don't require a fan, I questioned them on that saying that I have an outside glass double door bar fridge which has two fans in it. 

They came up an excuse, now I have to take it down to Brisbane and they are going to pull the fridge out and leave it in the workshop and use it and see how it operates.

I said to them that the operating temperatures in the workshop will be different from a caravan.

anyway I will see what happens. Friends were telling me on the weekend that some of the manufacturers are going back to 3 way fridges as they have become more efficient.

Warren  

Generally, three way fridges are not more efficient in the tropics and high heat.  There will be differing opinions on this but over the years I have seen too many informed comments from people on the topic indicating there to be a problem with the three way fridges - even the tropical rated fridges.  Kedron will have made the decision to stick with the 12volt fridges for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Warren 

I wish you luck ,but the fan works extremely well ,I used it on my last holiday up north for 10 weeks 30/35 every day  and was impressed the fridge held 0.c all the time .

We had an extra external vent installed so we have a vent just below the compressor shelf and one just above. I’ve also installed a low current exhaust fan on the top vent. We turn this off at night. 

The RPD218 performed perfectly on our recent trip to the TopEnd and Gulf in 40 degree temps. We had it on setting 3 up north and now we are in central Qld where it’s cooler we’ve wound it back to 2 as it was freezing our tomatoes.

With lights, satellite TV, shower pumps etc plus fridge we use about 35 to 40A each night. We are normally at between 80% and 89% charged in the mornings. Not sure exactly what the fridge uses but it does cycle on and off during the night ( and during the day in these cooler 30 to 25 degree temps).

cheers

Stu

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi 

I have finally got a result Dometic are now going to replace it with an RPD218. It is a much better design as the cooling plate(evaporator) is almost the hole length of the back wall. They said that you have to be careful leaving anything against the plate as it could freeze. Also the condenser has been fitted in a different position. Hopefully all my fridge problems will be over. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are also having trouble again with our 215.

Apparently the RPD 218 is still available.

Question that I have is the Vitrofrigo 2600 is about the same size and is also available.

Would that be a better option than the 218.

Does anyone have one of these fitted and has it been satisfactory.

I believe this is the fridge fitted to the new Top Enders.

thanks Doug

• Like 1

Finally had success.

After booking the fridge whisperer to check out the 215 I decided to do a bit more looking.

Found out that the condenser fan was not working all the time.

Replaced it and now have -17 in the freezer and 4 in the fridge on setting 3.

Also the power load has reduced from almost 9 amps to 6 amps.

Fridge whisperer was not happy when I cancelled the appointment.

Glad that I can now think of something else except the van fridge.

Doug