Van Registration

petdav30

Hi Guys,

I'm purchasing a Kedron Van that I presume will be registered in Qld. I live in Perth, so will I need to have it re-registered for WA? -  and if so, is it similar to a car where it will have to be inspected first?

regards;

Petedav30

Petdav

We live in Qld and so our van and Cruiser are both registered in this state.

However, it is the case in Qld and some other states that the Compulsory Third Party insurance of the tow vehicle does not extend to vans and trailers etc which are registered in another state.

In Qld, vans etc do not have their own CTP insurance, but are covered by the CTP of the tow vehicle which must also be registered in QLD.

It may be cheaper to register a van in Qld but the proverbial will hit the fan in a case where the van and tow vehicle are registered in different states.

You should determine what applies in WA.

regards

Bas

My van is registered in QLD currently, and towed with a NSW registered vehicle. I have a letter from QBE stating that the Qld registered van is covered by the NSW CTP for the towing vehicle. 

I'm pretty sure that NT registered vehicles can't tow a NSW, VIC, or QLD registered trailer for the reason of the CTP on the vehicle not covering the trailer. 

This is what it all come down to.

• Like 1

Good Morning Petdav 30

We have friends who live in Baldivis W.A. & they bought their van in S.A. & Ken said they towed it across the Nullarbor back home he took everything out of the van & took to Gov. inspection station as he told us if you live in W.A. you have 3 months to do this [if registered in another state] other wise you loose your insurance, same for a car. I can not remember the brand of van but he had to take it away & have the brakes on van up graded because of weight & he said he had nothing in the van & according to the compliance plate on van he could tow with Falcon / Commodore.

Hope this helps you.

Neville.

Hi Guys

If you have a friend that lives in QLD simply register the van at their address and have your residential address in WA as the mailing address for renewal.  Take it home and from what I have read from the link above simply re-register it without inspection in WA as it has been previously registered. This exactly what we did with our van when purchased.  Otherwise obtain permits from each State you will be travelling through to get it back to WA and then go through the inspection process over there.  

Cheers

Merv

Kedron will only register a new van in Qld.

Our recent experience last September was we used a Qld address to get it registered and while we were in Qld no problem, and when we returned to NSW we had 3 months to transfer the rego, which we did. In NSW you are required to have a "Breaksafe" Battery monitor fitted that is visible to the driver I do not think this applies in any other state. 

So we pruchased the monitor from Caravans Plus online and fitted it when we returned home. Despite the van being brand new and registered in Qld we were required to get a NSW Blue Slip (inspection for new vehicle - $80) and then pay the rego (about $500) in NSW and we got a refund of the unused portion of the Qld rego of $129. We were advised the only legal alternative we had was to not get it registered in Qld get a permit to drive back to NSW and get a blue slip at the first authorised inspection place and then pay the rego and all supposedly within one day. This option was not really workable as if the van failed inspection we would be stuck until problems solved. 

In summary it was a real pain and cost a lot of dollars and time, but now we are legal and fully insured in our home state. It is real shame we do not have a national rego system or even a national rego permit system that would allow a month or two to transfer rego without the need for an inspection.

Maybe just get rid of the internal borders between states and save all of us a lot of money and bother.:D

• Like 3

On 13 January 2016 at 2:13 PM, petdav30 said:

Hi Guys,

I'm purchasing a Kedron Van that I presume will be registered in Qld. I live in Perth, so will I need to have it re-registered for WA? -  and if so, is it similar to a car where it will have to be inspected first?

regards;

Petedav30

Hi we bought our van in Qweensland drove it to WA and took it to our local licensed RTA inspection place  to register here in WA ,from memory cost around $200 .Might pay to contact them for the current situation .

It was overall quite easy they did not weigh the van the only thing was I had to get a letter from Kedron stating that they used the rated chains .Easy as 

Edited by John and Jo
  • Like 1

On 15/1/2016 at 3:26 PM, John and Jo said:

Hi we bought our van in Qweensland drove it to WA and took it to our local licensed RTA inspection place  to register here in WA ,from memory cost around $200 .Might pay to contact them for the current situation .

It was overall quite easy they did not weigh the van the only thing was I had to get a letter from Kedron stating that they used the rated chains .Easy as 

My enquiries with the licencing centre in Midland (WA) indicated that if the van is purchased new & transferred within the first year, then an inspection is not required.  Take the Qld licence, weight information & proof of purchase from Kedon into a Licencing Centre.  Fill in the form, pay the transfer fee and licence cost & "Bob's your uncle".  Fortunately WA licencing and stamp duty costs for caravans are still reasonable.....who knows for how much longer?

Happy days

PJ.

• Like 1

Thank you to Strettman and Yabbitol. We live at Tweed Heads and it is common for people to register vehicles across the border ( much cheaper ) . We have left our van registered in QLD ( cost $189 ) as it is actually garaged there and our tow vehicle is registered in NSW as it is garaged at home . We have installed the Breaksafe battery monitor and have advised insurance company that van is garaged interstate, however I did not give the CTP for the car a thought... will chase this up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Follow up on CTP insurance, which is with NRMA for the tow vehicle. I spoke to NRMA- it took a while to get to the right person... and was told "what is towed is considered part of the motor vehicle. it does not specify in their internal notes that same state registration is required.." QLD Department of Transport advised that CTP is required over 4.5 tonnes, so not required for our van.

Same subject but a different trailer. Worked for a firm that had a lease vehicle registered in NSW and we were in Qld. Company had a box trailer that was used twice a day. I questioned the legality of this and to cut a long story short the third party insurer for the vehicle asssured me that it was fine but when asked to put it in writing "Definately not "

Qld transport said the trailer is covered by the cars third party insurance IF THE CAR AND TRAILER ARE REGISTERED IN QLD.

I wasn't worried about my driving so much but the thought of somebody stepping between car and trailer when pulled up at lights and you take  off could be expensive.

If you go down this path then get a definitive answer in writing along with author and position of the person givingthe ok.

Den

• 1 month later...
On 13 January 2016 at 6:35 PM, Strettman said:

My van is registered in QLD currently, and towed with a NSW registered vehicle. I have a letter from QBE stating that the Qld registered van is covered by the NSW CTP for the towing vehicle. 

I'm pretty sure that NT registered vehicles can't tow a NSW, VIC, or QLD registered trailer for the reason of the CTP on the vehicle not covering the trailer. 

This is what it all come down to.

Further to my comments above, this is a matrix from the NT transport site indicating the combinations permitted to be towed legally. This is only because of third party insurance arrangements from state to state, it has nothing to do with different 'state plates' between tow vehicle and trailer. As long as registration is current in the home state, and CTP cover is in place, there is no issues.

image.jpg

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have this endorsed by any other state(s) where the tow and towed vehicles are not registered in the same state.

Bas