Anderson charge fuses

Hermit

Hi all, we have been free camping over the last 3 nights. This morning after the third night the SOC (3x 120aH batteries) was down to 65%. We were using the TV and Sat boxes, so I guess we used more than we should have. Even though it was very sunny (hot) and clear skies, the charge rate from the 3x135w panels was about 20a, is this correct?

Anyway, the car aux battery was also down a fair bit. I had replaced the 30a Anderson charge fuse under the battery cover with a 40a fuse because it had blown and that was all I had. We travelled about 30k down the road to the next town and I found that the Anderson charge 40a fuse and holder was starting to melt.

Was it because the batteries were so far discharged that the current into them from the Anderson plug on the car was too high?

Also, the bible shows that there are two fuses for "Anderson Charge", one under the battery cover - 30a and one in the fuse rack - 15a.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the one in the fuse rack is for?

It would be nice to have a circuit digram because it is all very confusing.

Thanks in advance for any advice/information

Cheers

Rob

Currently in Waikerie, SA.

Hi Rob

I had the same problem and put  it  out  on the forum and got a few good answers if you write fuses up in the search 

bar you may find out  more info

Regards Kakadu

Hi Hermit,

I found the fuse in the 'fuse rack' is for the Anderson outlets on the side of the van.  There is one on the door side which I'm told is for an outside fridge like the Waeco or Engel and I had Kedron fit one to the opposite side as well.  I intended using the Anderson plugs for my air compressor for reinflating after being off road and found the 15 amp fuse blew the first time I used it so swapped it out for a 30 amp one and have had no further dramas.  My air compressor has a 20+ amp draw an startup I believe.

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian, yes, I found that this fuse is for the two anderson plugs on the sides of  the van.

The "bible" incorrectly labels this fuse as "Anderson Charge", this confused me until Ashley at Kedron pointed out the error.

Thanks for your reply

Rob

(Hermit)