Trail a Mate jack - permanent on van?

kakabarra

Hi Guys, just curious if anyone uses a the trail a a mate jack as there jockey wheel and do they keep it mounted on a the frame whilst travelling?

Also anyone used the trail a a mate cable kit?

Cheers

Yes we use the trailer mate jack but not with the dolly wheel as you will never be able to push it around too much. We use the base plate and have the jack mounted high enough that it can't hit the ground. We then use a plastic block under the baseplate to take up the extra gap when disconnecting the van.

Has been that way for 14 years. If you are worried about the jack creeping down when travelling then use a bungie cord to ensure it stays up.

Den

Thanks Den & Merv appreciate the advice, looks like I will go with this option, great to hear there are no clearance issues.

Cheers

• Like 1

As previously mentioned, if you are going to leave the trailer mate mounted on the drawer bar when traveling MAKE SURE the base plate will not 'hit' anything and rig up a securing cable/strap to stop the 'ram' creeping down.

i speak with authority & real life experience on this as it cost me a new trailer mate, clamp and welding to fix up my blunder!

Travel safe

Hi Kakabarra

We use a trail-mate jack, but only with the base plate. We remove the jack from the A frame when not in use and store it in the boot. By storing the jack in the boot, it keeps it safe, away from prying eyes that might want it, and it also keeps it clean and dry. I have a piece of alloy pipe that fits into jack position on the A frame when the jack is removed and this prevents the fitting from rattling around.

I concluded years ago that by removing the jack when not in use, it prevents someone from knocking it off, then what do you do !!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Purchased and fitted the trail a mate jack today. At full height on the drawbar the base plate still sits around 100mm below the a frame. It appears this will be full height as the jack will not close beyond the existing welded mount.

I guess one option is to take plate off and allow jack to be fully closed or as Peter indicated pack away when not in use.

Is this about the average height other people have experienced, or is this not an issue?

Cheers

• 6 years later...