Drinking water hoses

Hi to you all,

We have been experiencing no end of taste dramas with drinking water hoses. We have bought unbranded from a roll in Broome,Pope from Bunnings & most recently a new one from Aldi, all of which deliver a strong plastic smell & taste. I am desperate for an answer as we are forced to use our onboard water unless we waste 10 to 15 litres ( a guess) to clear the hose .

Peter

G`Day Peter and Janelle

Are you using the  food grade hoses? The normal garden hose will give you your current problem (plastic water :)) The correct hose (blue or white) can be found in most caravan,camping and the odd hardware stores. They are are little more expensive but certainly worth it.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Most drinking water hoses are food grade but you pay for what you get.  Saying that we always run all water through a double filter (Sediment and Silver) before it goes into the van and have never had a problem.   Our hoses are Pope brand from Bunnings.  You might have to drain the tanks and refill after filtering.

Cheers

Merv

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter and Janelle,

We have been emailing Vicky and Tony on family history recently and had thought of you guys. V & T are currently on the road at Canowindra visiting Vs sister Kay. 

On the topic, and as per other responses to your query we use blue "food grade" hose which is generally available at a camping store. I have very sensitive taste and have never had an issue.

Happy travels,

Wendy & Grahame

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses but please be assured that we have only ever used drinking water hoses in either blue or white variety. The problem  only occurs when the water sits in the hose overnight as in when you are connected in a caravan park.We fill our tanks at home through an ordinary garden hose or anywhere else through our drinking water hose with no ill effect.

Maybe I'm just getting precious in my old age!