Are you happy with your Kedron?

Danno Bananno

Hi guys, we're about to order our van and Kedron are at the top of our list. Can we please get everyone's opinion on the product and after sales service? Has anyone had issues that weren't easily and quickly taken care of? Has anyone had any major problems? Thanks

Very good question ??

Can't wait to hear responses, truth or fiction.

Hi all

Ours is a 2012 top Ender and has travelled probably half of the continent on all road types, are we happy with it, you bet.  This van has to be one of the toughest made. Quality is top notch and the aftermarket service is rivalled by none.  Yes, we have had some hiccups and they have been rectified without bating an eye lid, even when the repairs are done down here in Melbourne.  Hardings Caravan Service down here have said that Kedron are one of the easiest Companies to deal with when it comes to after market work.

If we were to upgrade would we purchase another, within a heart beat......The only thing that you have to watch with any of these upper build vans is their weight, they are heavy, but that is one of their strengths.  You put one of the 20'+ behind one of the American trucks and they will give you one of the most efficient, relaxing tow experience of all.

Cheers

Merv/Di

• Like 3

Danno

This web site only allows positive messages about Kedron, the negative experiences cannot be posted.

Cheers

John

Well Danno theres your answer, you cannot be informative in any way shape or form if it contains the truth.

This will more than likely be removed as being negative.

Yes we designed our own Kedron and had it built and was congratulated by Barry the dad for our design, when it as shown in the Brisbane Caravan Show off 2009.

Hi all

We ordered our ATV in early 2007 for delivery in March 2008.  During that waiting period we changed our minds about 10 times on various features, but were given no grief at all by Kedron.  Build and delivery went smoothly, and after our 'shake-down' the majority of the niggly little issues were fixed with no problems at all.  Under warranty of course.

Since that time, yes we have had the occasional problem - Vitri fridge died a couple of times (until we replaced it), some of the cabinetry took exception to being taken on corrugated roads, and I really don't want to talk about the Thetford toilet!  We have had nothing but good service and good cheer for all these items and more (general services, replacing the battery charger, replacing the batteries, adding new invertors, solar panels, new tyres etc, etc).  We live in our van and we are very happy with both the construction and design.

I know that some Kedron owners have had problems both minor and major with their vans, and have also had clashes with Kedron staff which resulted in souring relations with the company.

When a person spends what to us was a very large amount of money on a caravan, they want to know that the company behind that van can be relied upon and that the van is built to specifications.

I would suggest Danno that nothing and nobody is perfect, but throughout our 9 years (we had a little Keddie before picking up our current van), and talking to many, many Kedron owners, the larger percentage have professed to be happy with the choice of a Kedron van. 

Cheers

Rick

Gentlemen - you will note that no posts have been deleted, hidden or otherwise commented on by the Management Committee in this thread.  Negative or offensive behaviour is the general reason for posts being moderated, and is generally very rare.

Owners are entitled to their own opinions, and provided that the opinion - whether negative or positive - is based in fact (not hearsay) and is not written in an abusive, inappropriate or offensive manner, it will be left intact.

I would remind you all of the conditions of the Online Code of Conduct, in particular:

"Our forum should be a place for open discussion and opinion, with respect, and without threat of
attack or abuse.
All our members have a simple choice to make each time they "post" on this forum - either
contribute positively or negatively to the thread - do this in a professional, funny or cheeky manner
or choose to be offensive, abusive or inappropriate. If you choose the latter then the post will be
deleted by the Forum Moderators.
Opinions and advice offered on the Forum should be treated with due caution and the Kedron
Owners Group Committee, it's Members and Forum Moderators of this site do not accept
responsibility for any loss arising from it. Any opinions expressed here belong to the poster and are
not endorsed by the Kedron Owners Group Committee, it's Members and Forum Moderators unless
explicitly stated."

Kind Regards

Lea Avey

Webmaster

• Like 3

Well......

We took delivery of our 1st Kedron in early 2003, and our current Kedron in 2012. In over 13 years of owning a Kedron Caravan and travelling over 200,000 km with them in all conditions, we have had no major problems. With both vans we had minor teething problems, and these were fixed without any hassle. In a couple of instances, what we thought was a problem actually wasn't, it was us not

understanding how something works or where to turn it on!!!!!!!!

Even now, if something breaks eg a draw latch etc, I take it out to Kedron and they fix it or they send me the part anywhere in Australia, no problems. Fabulous after sales service.

But, as with any business/ customer relationship where is no good ranting and raving if something is not quite right; an honest and mature discussion usually solves problems in that business/ customer relationship.

So yes.... Having over 13 years experience with product and the staff, we are happy with our Kedron, and yes,

given the opportunity we would purchase another one.

Peter

• Like 3

Well......

I probably should add to my previous post on this topic.

We first purchased a second hand camper trailer from Kedron, just as they were getting their caravan manufacturing business off the ground.

Back in those days I had to pay it off. Dave stored the trailer out at the fledging factory in Brendale. I would go out there each Friday afternoon and pay a bit more off. One afternoon I asked Dave if I could paint it a bit by bit. Anyway, the next Friday afternoon I went there, armed with a few tins of spray pack paint. What a surprise, our camper trailer had been painted. Dave had got one of his guys to rub it back and had it painted.

Over the next few weeks, I payed off our camper trailer. The paint job cost me nothing, Dave said it was part of the painters job application!!!!!!

Several years later, that second hand camper trailer was a part trade-in for our 1st Kedron caravan.

In essence, our association with Kedron goes back 15 years or so.  Probably longer than anyone else on this

forum!!!!!!!!  And yes, we are still happy customers.

Peter

• Like 2

I have already provided advice to Danno elsewhere on our experience with Kedron and our two vans.  (We are onto our second van).

But in light of previous comments and allusions here in posts above I will say clearly that we are delighted with our van/s and with the service offered by Kedron through the Gall family and factory staff.  The van is strong and structurally solid.  It has been well thought out and is an end product of a lot of testing in a real life situation by the brand.

Now I add that I am not one eyed about Kedron.  Can they be improved?  Undoubtedly; no van is perfect.  But from our direct experience when problems have occurred (in our case little to no issues have occurred) they are rectified by the factory.  There are other vans out there which are arguably as good but what differentiates Kedron is the factory response to concerns.  (In my view you can't really compare any van, they all have differing strengths and weaknesses).

Now moving into a Moderator role, I will add that if anyone has negative comments or experiences (I guess they must be out there...) there is a private messaging feature on this forum.  As the Webmaster has so clearly stated above, there is no attempt here to stifle good honest and factual discussion, but emotive and inflammatory comments are always viewed with the deepest suspicion by the behind the scenes committee and team. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So we went to the Brisbane Caravan Supershow to look at the Bushtracker and Kedron caravans and are still no closer to deciding which to purchase. Both are wonderful off road vans. I must say that the blokes at the Kedron stand were great to talk to, and it was good to see all of the vans they had on display. The new KRS suspension looks a winner as well. The next step will be to visit both factories to check out build quality. Exciting times and I am sure that either will be something special.  

• Like 1

Cargo05, I agree both are great vans.  I think Kedron has the edge with its customer service, though.  They are just wonderful people to deal with, in our experience.

• Like 2

Hello Cargo05,

I agree with you, Both are very competent off road vans. We were in your situation 6 years ago and actually decided to go BT until we got a first hand experience with their customer service at the time we were about to hand over the deposit.......... thankfully. Because of that "enlightening" experience, we purchased our wonderful Kedron and have been so thankful for the decision.

I now advise people who are researching which van to buy that when asking BT and Kedron owner they really don't need to ask about the quality of the vans. The better question to ask is .............. how happy are you with the after sales support. That will make your decision so much easier................. and then you can join the KOG once and for all.:D

• Like 2

G'day Chris, Steve and Kez

Thank you all for your replies. I have heard the same regarding Kedron’s after customer services and after sales support, and the team at the Brisbane Supershow were certainly great to deal with.

Chris, how does you LC200 handle the 19’ Topender? Did you have a suspension upgrade to the Cruiser?

• Like 1

Cargo, no upgrade to the LC other than rear suspension airbags.  The duo is well matched and the vehicle has plenty of power.  A Kedron van will always be a stable unit and not once, over both vans we have owned, has there ever been any sense of instability.  The van tows beautifully.

• Like 1

G’day again blokes

I have further questions if you will indulge me.  

Looking at the latest brochure from the Brisbane Supershow, the 18’6” Topender (which is the smallest Topender made), has a Tare of 2720kg, and an ATM of between 3500kg and 3990kg. The Toyota website gives the GXL a GVM of 3350kg, GCM 6850kg, and Gross trailer braked weight of 3500kg. It appears that, at best, the LC200 is just legal to tow the Topender. If any options are added the van would exceed the Cruiser towing capacity without a suspension and capacity upgrade. Am I missing something? I am not doubting the Cruisers capacity to tow the Topender, I am just concerned about the legal weight implications.

Looking at the specifications of the Yank trucks it is easy to see why they are becoming more frequent on our roads, towing large, fully off road vans. However, the cost is beyond what we are prepared to pay. What other options are available?

• Like 1

Hi Cargo,

Welcome to this forum.

The Kedron product is a quality product and with quality and strength unfortunately comes extra weight, also depends on what extra's you decide on....... which all add to the overall weight!

For my two bobs worth (& I'm sure there will be many more comments) ..... I have just 'got out of' my thirteenth Landcruiser mixture of 80's, 100's and the last three.... 200's all have been fantastic tow vehicles especially the 200's with the TTD motor....sssoooooo much torque, but when you what to pull up in a hurry ( my experience only) the 'old sphincter muscles' really tighten UP!.

My van is a 19'6" interior ATV2  (and please remember, I'm only talking of MY experiences) would weigh close to 4 tonne, I can truthfully say that I don't know what it weighs as I never really wanted to know how much it was over weight.....if you wish call me irresponsible!

Towing the van with the cruiser was easy going climb any hill, passing many lesser vehicles on the way, with WITH great fuel economy. I would always keep a safe distance and then some from the vehicle in front.....always as any responsible driver would be ....aware of any vehicle that could/would cut in and reduce your braking distance.

Well, I have bitten the bullet, I have got out of my 200, it is up for sale (see items for sale) and spent the eqivilent of what you would pay for half a house in suburbia and purchased a 'Yank Truck'!.

The last thing I'm trying to do here is high jack this thread and get the topic off track......but you did ask the question about the tow vehicle.

The feeling you get when towing ( in my case with a GMC) is one of complete relaxation compared to towing with a 200 series, the power AND THE EXHAUST BRAKES make it as easy as driving a little sports car (almost) and only using about 1 litre per 100 extra on fuel.

Cargo,.....the last thing I trying to do is put you 'off' purchasing a Kedron, but consider a shorter Topender or a kitted out XC which will be lighter a will most defiantly follow behind your 200 series with ease.

And to answer the original poster, yes we are more than happy with our Kedron and the after sales service and support is second to none!

Which ever way you go.....I will look forward to cing you down the road one day.

• Like 1

Good Morning Cargo

When we bought our 17ft 6 inch van in 2007 David told me our Sahara would pull the Top Ender & yes it did we did thousands of Km. across a lot of dirt but when I put it across a weigh bridge I found we were over weight [ not legal & if in an accident No Insurance] so I had our Sahara cut & Lazy axle added to get over this problem, but the Qld Transport bloke put end to that as it depend what side of the bed he got out of as to what  towing capacity he would give you, the vehicle done before mine he put 4500kg on blue plate, mine 3500kg, & the next one 4000kg, all done through the same Conversion shop. So after spending $ 40,000 I was still not Legal so now I have bought a Dodge Ram & can rest easy when driving down any road & know I do not have to worry if I see the Dept. of Transport pulling people over to weigh them. So I think if you are looking at a Kedron you need to look at the lighter models not the Top Ender, I think in the industry they say if you have a single axle you can put 200kg in van & 2 axles 400 kg & you will be surprised @ how little gear in total you get for 400kg.

Hope this helps & safe & happy travels down the road.

Neville.   

• Like 1

It can be very daunting making these decisions with so much information which is not always entirely correct.

i am very happy to assist any genuine people with their weights and measure, give me a call on 0428676374 and i will assist.

Regards

Greg 

What great responses. I am finding this forum very informative, and, just as importantly, friendly. Apologies to Danno Bananno if I am inadvertently hijacking you thread. We can all learn a great deal from these experienced contributors.

The general consensus is that Kedron make a great van and the aftersales service is excellent. Our experience at the Brisbane caravan show was the staff were very helpful and enlightening. So with these factors in mind we are very interested to explore the options in the range. Unfortunately it looks like the Topender is out because of the legal implications with the weight, towing with a LC200.  My question then is which van in the range would be the best option? We require tandem axle, approximately 17 to 18’ (limitations on storage space), but with full off-road functionality.  Ideally the weight should be easily within the legal towing capacity of the Cruiser, so I do not have to worry about either insurance or the weigh bridge. Will the XC stand up to full off-road use over a sustained period of time, or should I be looking another model?  Will the KRS be available throughout the whole range, or exclusive to the Topenders?

Your comments, insights, and experience are greatly appreciated.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Danno,

I have a TE that I purchased new in late 2009.  Towed it with a 100 Series 4.2TD.  A year or so ago I upgraded to a Chev Silverado.

Kedron's are fantastic vans and the after sales service has to be experienced to be believed.  Tony H sums it up well in his contribution.  We are thinking of buying a new van. When I sit down and draw up a list of all the characteristics I want in a van I find I have just described a Kedron Top Ender!  Have I had problems with my van?  Not really and the little niggles I experienced were fixed in a flash by Kedron.

Danno, you can buy a Kedron with confidence and then sleep soundly at night.

Regards

Colin

• Like 2