Vehicle Towing

Gary Clarke

Need some feedback/advice.

CAR

I have a 2006 79 Toyota Land cruiser manual Ute, 4.2 litre turbo diesel, 3"exhaust with diesel smart 4 stage power chip(set on stage 3 for aggressive towing) with heavy duty clutch, car has covered 82k klms . Fully loaded the unit weighs 3.6t ( allowing for ball weight) it has a Lovell spring upgrade to 3.9t.

CARAVAN

Kedron ATV2  overall length tow bar to rear tyre rack 24ft,  Duel axle with various extras, to bring the van weight to 3.2t.

The question we are trying to find is with a total weight of 6.8t we are finding that we are having trouble taking off when on an incline say 10%, car seems to have plenty of power, always have to slip into low range to take off, otherwise the clutch will slip if you take off in high 1st.

My mechanic tells me this is normal due to the weight from a standing start.

Constructive comments please.

WP_20160624_001 (640x360).jpg

Edited by Gary Clarke
  • Like 1

Gary when you say clutch slips is this because you can smell it or motor revs up and vehicle speed does not increase.

Do you know what brand your heavy duty clutch is, also compound your clutch is?

Being upgraded exhaust and chipped does it slip in higher gears, or can you make it slip ?

Edited by HAVAGO
Adding more
  • Like 1

Greg the clutch is a NPC with organic plate compound, if I sit on the incline the only way I can move is ride the clutch to start, hence then the clutch slips and smells.

If I try to just take off without riding the clutch it will stall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary Clarke said:

Greg the clutch is a NPC with organic plate compound, if I sit on the incline the only way I can move is ride the clutch to start, hence then the clutch slips and smells.

If I try to just take off without riding the clutch it will stall.

The clutch you are using is a very good choice, ideal for towing.

First question I should have asked has it always did it from day one?

Does it continue to slip for a while or takes up straight away.

With the exhaust and intake upgrade and the chip it would have increased the torque significantly therefore possibly enough to create the problem on lift off on a grade.

Gary have you tried setting the chip back to standard ? I would try that first.

Some toyota owners after upgrading and chipping have experienced clutch slippage in higher gears, have you noticed anything up higher ?

Have you fitted a larger circumference 4x4 tyre to your tow vehicle, with a high first gear and and the extra torque a slight increase in final drive ratio can also create this issue.

What revs are you doing at 100 kph, thinking about ratios and tyres etc.

Edited by HAVAGO
Update
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, HAVAGO said:

First question I should have asked has it always did it from day one?        Yes, only since we put the van behind.

Does it continue to slip for a while or takes up straight away.      Takes up as the car moves forward, with clutch burning smell.

With the exhaust and intake upgrade and the chip it would have increased the torque significantly therefore possibly enough to create the problem on lift off on a grade.

Gary have you tried setting the chip back to standard ? I would try that first.    Had it set standard at first, when increased chip,  fuel usage decreased by 07klm/litre only.

Some toyota owners after upgrading and chipping have experienced clutch slippage in higher gears, have you noticed anything up higher ?  No, take up is good when passing.

Have you fitted a larger circumference 4x4 tyre to your tow vehicle, with a high first gear and and the extra torque a slight increase in final drive ratio can also create this issue.

No 265/75/16 same size at purchase.

What revs are you doing at 100 kph, thinking about ratios and tyres etc. 2400 in forth, 2200 in fifth

3rd stage chip.pdf

Stage 2 chip.pdf

Edited by Gary Clarke
Attached files from Leigh Holeman
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gary Clarke said:

If I try to just take off without riding the clutc

First question I should have asked has it always did it from day one?

Does it continue to slip for a while or takes up straight away.

With the exhaust and intake upgrade and the chip it would have increased the torque significantly 

13 hours ago, Gary Clarke said:

Gary after assessing all the information you provided, viewing your revs and speed in fifth gear, tyre size etc

I will have to agree with your mechanic, unfortunately on a steep incline you will have to use a lower range because your diff ratios are already quite low and would not acheive good results lowering further being fuel economy etc.

The Nissan Navara has a similar problem with first gear ratios, First high is too high too lift off with a maximum load.

Example Trying to lift off a boat ramp with a larger boat behind coming out of the water.

This is where automatic transmissions excel, torque convertor takes all the slippage and on a short burst like lift off it does no harm.

Check what gearbox you have I am sure you will find it is the R151F box which has a higher first gear ratio than the H150F gearbox.

Sorry not the answer you were looking, I dont believe you have a mechanical problem.

Keep safe ??

Edited by HAVAGO
Update data
  • Like 2

Greg,

Thankyou for all the time and effort you have put in on this topic, only three options, automatic transmission, new bigger tug, or perceiver with what we have.

Cheers take soon.