Access to Internet while Travelling

GnA

We are thinking that using our 

i-Phone 6s as an internet hotspot is the best way to go, but is it?

We have a 4G antenna on the van.

What are other members experiences?

What are your recommendations?

Hi GnA

We run a 4g pre paid Wi Fi Pro through a 3/4G antenna on the truck when travelling and we also have a separate antenna on the van when stationary in camp and we have found this to be a great combination.  You can use your 6s as a hotspot but your range will be greatly improved if you run it through a cradle connected to an antenna and it will keep your phone powered.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 1

Hi Merv,

Thanks for your input.  We have an external antenna and a phone cradle but it's on the tug, so not much use for internet in the van.  There is a 4G antenna on the van, but tricky connecting the phone to it.  May just be that a mobile router is a better option.  I can fund the prepaid plan by reducing the data allowance on the iPhone.  RV WiFi looks promising http://www.rvwifi.com.au/.

Cheers,

Graeme (n Anne)

We have an Advance II modem that we can plug into an external aerial 3G/4G

http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/product/telstra-wifi-4g-advanced-ii-netgear-aircard-790s/

My Iphone has more data that I use 16Gb / month shared with my wife and so for $5 per month I got an extra sim that goes into the Advance II and shares the 16Gb. If we get close to the 16Gb when travelling ... we can put in a normal prepaid sim till the 16Gb refreshes ... but this rarely happens.

The Modem above, on an aerial, gives us much better distance/speed under the same conditions as the Iphone being used as a hotspot.

Cheers

John

Thanks John,

This looks a better option than the RV WIFI modem because it appears to be faster.  I'm a little confused about whether the 4G Advanced ii is the latest model.  There is a 4G Advanced iii but even this is several years old.  Would be a piece of cake setting this up because we already have an FME connector and USB ports over the dinette table.  We should be able to share our existing data which is 15gB/month.

Cheers,

Graeme 

• 1 month later...

We had a cupboard fitted out in our XC3 with 12vdc and 240vac outlet plus a connection point to the 3G/4G antenna fitted to the Van. I installed the RV Wi-Fi router which accepts a pre-paid Telstra 4G dongle. The Wi-Fi router also has its own small antenna. We only charge up the dongle when we are travelling. I believe a max of 5 devices can connect. Usually only me and the Boss connect and no problems with the speed. Sometimes just leave the router switched on using its own little antenna and we can access the Internet whilst actually on the road (as long as we have a signal). Of course this set up not much use if you are well off the beaten track.

Thanks.

We got a Telstra 4G Advanced III. We have 12/240v plus 4G antenna point at the dinette so will locate it there. So far have only used it at home and speed is acceptable. 16gb per month looks like a challenge though.

Cheers,

GnA

• 4 weeks later...

We use a combination of teetering to one of our two iPhones (we have 15 gig a month between us) and a mobile pre-paid modem from Telstra.  One of our mobiles is with Optus which does not work everywhere but it does work most places these days, and the other is Telstra for the superior coverage.  The combination works for us.