Chev Silverado-Lost Turbo Boost in limp mode

Leon Brown

Hi All

My Chevy  (2014 2500 HD) lost power and went into limp mode.  The error message was Lost Turbo Boost. I am wondering if this happened to any one and what the issue was and what the fix is.  My truck is a the dealers now and I am waiting for the diagnosis. Any help appreciated.

Regards

Leon

• Like 1

Hi Leon,

I will be following this thread.....please keep us up to 'speed' with developments.

Hoping you don't have any great delays & expense in getting back on the road!

What workshop is your truck at?

Cheers

Tony 

Hi

Finally got a diagnostic done which has revealed:

1) Fuel filter blockage- serviced 4k ago new filter so I may have copped some dirty fuel- need to investigate a pre -filter as a safety back stop happy to receive suggestions

2) Particulate filter blockage - operator error - have not been driving hard enough for long enough- will do a regeneration to burn carbon. (Need to run at 3500 plus revs for 20-30 minutes weekly/fornightly

Some other interesting points from mechanic and towy:

- do not use any silican prays in engine bay as these can cover and harden on sensor in particular O2 sensors (Going to wash down engine bay)

- do not add fuel additives as these add volume to fuel and can impact sensors

- best fuels are BP and Caltex vortex (Towy told shell is the dirtiest)

Just need to do these repairs, check everything and will back on the road- hopefully to Darwin- but need to shorten

Leon

• Like 2

Hi Leon

That is good news, but I am very surprised that you didn't get a fuel filter warning come up.  The particulate filters have all been known to be a problem when you don't drive hard enough (tongue in cheek)  you are just going to have to put your foot down more.   Anyway a pleasing outcome, it could have been a lot worse and more expensive.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 1

Hi Leon,

I would like to echo Merv's comments......your a lucky chap!

If you get an accessory fuel filter consider a 30 micron filter fitted BEFORE the factory filter.....something like this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diesel-fuel-filter-water-separator-universal-pre-filter-Common-Rail-Diesel-Kit-/401318441627?hash=item5d7071729b:g:EsgAAOSwT-FZBtx6 they are relatively easy to fit & plumb up. Fitting one of these will extend the service life of the factory filter (which are expensive) change the accessory filter say every 2nd oil change for about $30....cheap insurance.

If your still at Gosford, jump on the M1 and give the truck 'a flogging' (so to speak) to give it a good clean out!

Re silicon sprays, don't believe they will cause any problems (hardening)....but using silicon/silastic type adhesives/sealants during component assembly can cause problems with O2 sensors....the fumes given off during the curing process cause the problems!

Re fuel.....95% of all fuel is now imported (Singapore) regardless of 'brand' it all comes from the one depot and depending on brand additives they are added/blended whilst the delivery truck is being filled.....fuel from the depot you can bet your right testicle will be clean.....contaminants are picked up from servo underground tanks regardless of brand.

Always look for fuel at outlets that would have a high stock/fuel turnover!....you would have to be very unlucky to pick a load of bad fuel.

Adding extra 'additives' to your fuel.....make up your own mind.....myself,..... diesel fuel in Oz is Ultra Low Sulphur content, making it a very dry fuel. To every tank full (250L) of fuel I use, put in 1/2 liter of two stroke oil or auto trans oil (cheapest available) just to increase the fuel lubricity......works for me.

Travel safe,

CU down the road.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rorence said:

Before that, I have no idea about how to fix this trouble. 

Hi Rorence,

Welcome to the forum.

I am just an 'ordinary bloke'..... please what are you eluding to or asking?

Hi All

After all the problems ended up coming to Gympie. Further investigation found that the Turbo inlet pipe had a leak due to some clips being broken.  This may have occurred as a result of replacing a leaking steering box. Had 2 boxes replaced before a success with replacement on the third time. Back on the road and appears to be going well.

Leon

Came across this recently, and it could be of interest to some.

Although the test was conducted in Sth Africa, diesel with 10 ppm Sulphur was used, and that is now the standard there, as it is in many parts of the world.

Cheers

Bas

www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-technical-study.php

Hi Bas,

Thanks for the link, that makes for an interesting read.

I, most of the time add either 2 stroke or ATF to my fuel tank when refilling (as previously mentioned).....to date I have not had any 'dramas' (touch wood), if this report/link is correct (not doubting it isn't) maybe over the upteen years I have been doing so...... I may have been wasting my money......maybe it is a placebo effect!

Stay safe & thanks for the info:D