Ball Weights

Guest Alex

Tow ball weight from factory versus loaded.
Please correct me if I am wrong, plated tow ball weight from factory is with nothing in van, tanks empty but with full gas bottles.
Has anyone checked ball weight with a van ready to go on a trip with full water tanks?
How does that compare to your plated ball weight?

Alex

I would SUGGEST that you check what YOUR ACTUAL ball weight is with nothing in the Van on a weigh bridge and then check when it is loaded and maybe you will be shocked .

I think if you look back through the threads as Tony suggested you will find plenty of reading on this.

Neville.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Neville and Kay said:

Alex

I would SUGGEST that you check what YOUR ACTUAL ball weight is with nothing in the Van on a weigh bridge and then check when it is loaded and maybe you will be shocked .

our van is on order for delivery julyish so don't know any of our weights yet .

looking at setting up our car with the correct weights etc , but looks like we will have to do a GVM upgrade on our tow car as we weighed it the other day and with only 2 adults in the car we only had 330kg left,  I am expecting a ball weight of around 250kgs.

I think if you look back through the threads as Tony suggested you will find plenty of reading on this.

Neville.  I cant see Tony's suggestion

Alex

I think if you read through the GVM & TOW UPGRADES you will see plenty on the TRUE weights of Vans not what is written on Compliance Plates, as has been suggested many times. One should weigh Van yourself from new then weigh when you have loaded for a Trip, maybe you will get a shock at weight and remember when travelling you are generally picking up other stuff and this will increase your weight.

Have safe travels and enjoy.

Neville.

Alex 

The ball weight on your car should be between 9% and 11 % of the total weight of the van when loaded, the factory reading means little. It is your responsibility to balance your van and car so it will tow correctly.  In our case our topender weighs in at 3500kg loaded which meant we have around 350kg on the ball. We had to upgrade our car with a lovells GVM and Tow pack to be compliant. Our 200series is now plated with a GCM(gross combined mass) of 7800kg that is a GVM of 3800kg for the car and a tow capacity of 4000kg.   The ball height is also important the car and van should be level when loaded ready to go. When you have it right you will feel it, the car drives well and the van does not wander over the road. Use a weigh bridge to weigh the car when connected to the van, then car and van when connected, then van when connected. Disconnect the car and weigh it seperatley you will now have all the info you need to get it right.  It is worth taking the time to do this as you can then travel with confidence knowing you have it right.    

Regards Steve     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Steve/Sandy

interesting to read your post of 8 Jan. You say you are plated to 7800Kg GCM, with a GVM of 3800Kg.  I was led to believe that the GCM of 6850Kg ( 3800Kg for the cruiser upgrade was not allowable ) was sacrosanct That is, the max veh weight 3350Kg and the max van weight 3500Kg as provided by Toyota and Kedron respectively give a GCM of 6850Kg, and that by law this is not to be exceeded.

Can you confirm that you can legally have a GCM of 7800Kg,as I would love to have that too! ( we all know that those Kedron vans are heavy--been there, done that! )

I have a plated GVM upgrade of 3800Kg for my Cruiser,, but have been advised that this is only applicable to the vehicle on its own. When towing the original GVM of 3350Kg applies,, as does the plate of 3500Kg for the van. The towbar/ball is only rated to 3500Kg/350Kg, as decreed by Toyota. Has this been increased as well?

Would appreciate the legalities of this, as I'm sure I'm not the only one with a Cruiser who is faced with this problem

Thanks in anticipation,

Paul n Denise

Hi Paul n Denise.

This is a well worn subject around the various forums. However, I am happy to reply to your post.

I have a 200 series Landcruiser. Like many other owners, I have the Lovell Springs Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) upgrade to 3800kg and the Lovell's Braked Towing Capacity (BTC) upgrade to 4000kg and a ball weight up to 400kg. The vehicle is clearly plated to these weights, together with a Gross Combined Mass (GCM) plate of 7800kg. I had mine down prior to registration, and thus the upgrades are Federally approved.  You can have the upgrades done after initial registration, but you have to have it approved by your state transport authority.

I have also had the ATM of our Kedron upgraded to 3990kg and re-plated by the boys at Kedron. 

Our applicable registration documents show the upgraded capacities. We have no intension to load things up to these upgraded capacities, but we have a nice big safety margin. And yes, we are legal; even our insurance company is happy.

Finally, I suggest you contact Lovell Springs and get the info from 'the horses mouth' so the speak. Then contact Kedron or your local state transport approved engineering authority regarding an ATM upgrade. Be aware though, in Queensland, where we live, any trailer, including caravans, with an ATM over 3500kg is classified as a Heavy Trailer (HT) and has to have an annual Certificate of Inspection (COI).

Hope this makes things a little clearer,  and helps you make an informed decision based on the facts.

Cheers

Peter

• 2 weeks later...