Tyres for Chev Silverado

Leon Brown

Hi

I am about to upgrade the tyres on the Silverado currently running 265/60/R20.  Looking to move to 285/55/R20 All Terrain.  Looking at Mickey Thompson ATZP3, Toyo AT2, Toyo RTs.  What are you running and if anyone has had any experience with Mickey Thompsons ATZ. Any other recommendation welcome.   I would be 60/70 blacktop 30/40 gravel etc

Many Thanks

Leon

• Like 1

Hi Leon

Not that his might help you but I dropped back to 18's mainly for the ease of availability and am now on the second set of Cooper ST MAXX's LT275/70R18.  These tyres have not missed a beat, we got nearly 75000ks's out of the first set.  I run them at 60psi all round and drop back when off road.  You must rotate them for maximum life.

The current set cost me $475.00 each at Tyre Power.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 1

Did they throw in a set of ear muffs? ...........................you will need them as they are just as noisy as a full on MT tyre after about 10,000kms. Plus they are not a good wet weather tyre

Just about to bite the bullet myself, down to two......BFG AT’s or Toyo Opat’s

Used both of these, in my Toyota days very happy with the performance and wear.

Never bought a Cooper tyre.....just something about them that doesn’t ‘fit’ right with me.....their warranty is one thing tyres must be rotated every 5k and only to be used in suburbia.....lol  

• Like 1

What about Mickey Thompsons? Have been using them for 10 years, had good mileage, the ones I have used are quiet, good in the wet and readily available.

Bas 

Hi Bas,

Thanks for the suggestion, what pattern are you using?

I will stand corrected, but don’t the MT’s come out of the same factory as Coopers?

Cheers

Hi Tony

I started with ATZs and the almost identical tyre is now known as All Terrain Deegan 38. Deegan is/was an off-road racer who used MT tyres.

The Cruiser has ATZs on the front and 38s on the rear, all with similar mileage/wear of course, and the ATV has ATZs all round. 

I have heard the claim about MTs and Coopers and it appears MT is one of the Cooper Tyre company's many brands.

Bas

• Like 1

Hi Leon/Tony,

Be careful of the BFG's as the new pattern is no where as good as the old.

This information has come from two BF dealers who are customers of mine. Both are getting poor performance and niggling issues with them and both have stopped recommending them.

I have Mickys on my GM but they are 18". They have only done about 12,000k but I really do like them so far. Very quiet and have an excellent load rating.  

Hi Steve,

Out of curiosity what tread pattern do you have.

I also will be running 18” wheels, but have a feeling I will go with the Toyo’s.

We get home at the end of this week, cu round the bay sometime.

Hi Tony,

Mine are the STZ which has now been replaced by the ATZ. they are a 50/50 pattern. I have just put Toyo Open Country AT on the Patrol and I an very happy with them so far. But I have only done 7,000kms on them. They are a very quiet tyre also (but compared to the Cooper ST Maxx.......... A D9 Dozer would be quiet) and have been fantastic in the wet. Look forward to catching up when your back

Safe travels