WA Wildflowers

Chris

We are now headed for the WA wildflowers region near Geraldton.  Right now we are at Karalee Rocks and headed for Merredin then North to Mingenew.  I understand the flowers are the best they have been for many years, and we need to see them before the end of the month, when it starts to get hotter.

Anyone else around where we are at the same time?

• Like 1

I think they are up at the wildflowers right now!  But we will be seeing them at a Kedron gathering at Mangowine, early October.

• Like 1

Just missed you . Spent the last  two nights at Coalseam and drove through Mingenew this morning.The wildflowers are prolific this year .

I did see a  Kedron camped at the Breakaway site last night when I was on the phone ( only can get reception there) went back this morning but they were gone . WA private plates .

John

Edited by John and Jo
  • Like 1

Paul and I did go up this weekend to Pindar.  Due to work we drove up without "Q" (the kedron) as we only had sat and sun, 1100km round trip from here.  Felt funny staying in accom overnight.  The flowers were great.  On the sides of the dirt roads and carpets of them at Coalstream.  Wreath flowers at Pindar were great.  Heat is starting up so if you want to go and see them you had better hurry.  Reckon they have a good week left and after that they will start shows signs of dying.

• Thanks 1

Well, our plans are changed.  We are at a camp near Bencubbin and on Saturday discovered we have a broken spring on the van.

The van can continue to travel (carefully and cautiously) but we first need to source a replacement spring.  Val will make some calls shortly to numbers given to us by friends, and see where we go from there.

I suspect we need to take it to Merredin for repairs or to get the part. 

• Sad 1

The new spring (and a second one to replace both sides at the same time as the other is likely to be similarly affected too) has been ordered and being sent from Brisbane to Perth.  There are none in WA, as the unit is a strong spring for the rough roads a Kedron is exposed to...  Apparently it will take between 2 days to 2 weeks for it to arrive.....  

In the meantime we are waiting at a nice bushcamp  near Bencubbin, a small Wheatbelt town.  A couple of Kedron forum members have generously offered their assistance and that is heartwarming.  Thanks to Karen Slater and John Geling!

• Like 1

On Friday we were joined here at our campground near Bencubbin by fellow Kedron owners who live in Merredin.  We had never met before except through this forum, but they took pity on us and thought they would come up to keep us company ?. We have had a wonderful time together, sharing outrageous (and probably mostly true) stories over cups of coffee and cold drinks.

So we have decided to go down to Merredin tomorrow, travelling slowly and with Karen and Paul keeping us in front of them in case of any mishaps.  Then Val will have a clear run to the city when he needs to pick up the springs.  Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

It pays to be a Kedron owner ?

• Like 1

Karen & Paul are a lovely couple, with their local knowledge they will make your down time less frustrating. 

Just don’t get Paul to help Val with the spring replacements....he won’t know which end of the spanner to hold....sorry Paul!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hate it when Tony is right. I had to look up what a spanner was before I replied.

Lucky Val knows what he is doing as my only contribution for his replacement of the spring was to show him where my local mechanic works.

Safe travels Tony and Annie.

Regards Paul.

21 hours ago, Wandering Slaters said:

I hate it when Tony is right. I had to look up what a spanner was before I replied.

Lucky Val knows what he is doing as my only contribution for his replacement of the spring was to show him where my local mechanic works.

Safe travels Tony and Annie.

Regards Paul.

And that was good advice about where the mechanic works from...who knows we may need him yet??

An update. The springs have arrived. Hallelujah. They only took 11 days to get to Perth from Brisbane. Val drove down from Merredin to pick them up and got home about 4pm. He was greeted by me saying I thought a fuse had gone on the solar panel system as we had had no power coming in all day from the roof solar panels. So he got out of the car, exhausted, and had to fix the fuse.  It never rains but it pours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Wandering Slaters said:

Hopefully this is the end of your van troubles and you can again enjoy your travels in WA.

?

• Like 1