Stone damage prevention

Peterv

Hi all,

A question for everyone. Does anybody use Stone Stomper or Rock Tamer type products to protect the front of the van from stones thrown up by the tow vehicle? Are they necessary or is the protection provided by Kedron sufficient?

cheers,

Peter

• Like 2

We have the stone stomper and very happy with it . Also have the Kedron fitted stone guard but could easily take that off as no stones whatsoever flick up from the land cruiser. The Stone Stomper also keeps the dust down low . Also stops the stones flying back onto the tow vehicle. 
John 

Edited by John and Jo
Adding
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking about fitting a stone stomper. Did you fit yours to the van under the draw bar which requires removal of the mud flaps on the Kedron stone guard or did you fit it to the existing stone guard with mud flaps staying in place. 

• Like 1

Hi Greg, 

I decided not to go with the Stone Stomper. If I didn’t want to remove the mud flaps I had to secure the Stone Stomper against the stone guard in which case the protection is reduced.

I also have a set of Rock Tamers which I used on a previous car/van set up. I decided I’d just use these, with the addition of a mesh insert which sits between the two mud flaps, for the next trip and see how they go. I wasn’t too impressed with the Rock Tamers on my previous set up, but the CP5 has much better protection than the previous van so they may be OK this time around.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 1:35 PM, Greg said:

We are thinking about fitting a stone stomper. Did you fit yours to the van under the draw bar which requires removal of the mud flaps on the Kedron stone guard or did you fit it to the existing stone guard with mud flaps staying in place. 

The Stone stomper goes under the drawbar from the rear bar attachment to the front of the caravan. We never had the mud flaps Kedron are using now . However in my opinion the Stone Stomper would be more effective than mud flaps under the Stone guard. 

On 07/03/2021 at 9:51 AM, Peterv said:

Hi Greg, 

I decided not to go with the Stone Stomper. If I didn’t want to remove the mud flaps I had to secure the Stone Stomper against the stone guard in which case the protection is reduced.

I also have a set of Rock Tamers which I used on a previous car/van set up. I decided I’d just use these, with the addition of a mesh insert which sits between the two mud flaps, for the next trip and see how they go. I wasn’t too impressed with the Rock Tamers on my previous set up, but the CP5 has much better protection than the previous van so they may be OK this time around.

Cheers,

Peter