Waeco RPD215 faulty.

Hi all, Our TopEnder is 9 years old now and still going strong, but we have a problem with the Waeco RPD215 fridge.

The "Fault" light comes ON randomly and flashes 3 times every 5 seconds. It does this for a while, anything from a few minutes to an hour or so.

While the fault light is flashing the compressor is NOT running and the small fan at the rear cycles as well, then eventually the fault light stays OFF and the compressor starts to run again.

The freezer section is keeping everything frozen ok, but the fridge section does tend to increase in temp when the fault light is flashing.

It has been cycling like this for about 5 weeks now and attempts to find out the reason from Dometic and other fridge repairers has failed.

They have said it might be the control unit in the rear. It will cost about $330 plus labour and there's not guarantee it will fix the problem. Surely someone must know what the problem is and how to fix without randomly replacing parts until the fault disappears!!!

I have checked the voltage at the compressor, while running, and all ok at 13.7v, and drawing 9.6amps.

My thoughts are possibly the Thermistor is crook inside the fridge.

Anyway, have posted this just in case someone else has experienced the same problem and found a fix.

Regards

Rob

• Like 1

This is from fault page .

If your error light is flashing three times every 5 seconds, the rotor may be blocked or the differential pressure in the refrigeration system is too high. Faulty compressor or faulty control module.

I hope this helps .

• Like 2

Don't envy you.  Just took our RPD215 out as we had it fixed one too many times.  At nine years you have had a good run out of it.  Ours barely lasted 7 and was fixed 5 times.  Might be time to consider new one.

• Like 1

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your input.

After your comments, I think we will look at replacing the fridge rather than fixing it.

Can you tell me which fridge you replaced it with, brand, model, size etc. and where you purchased it.

Regards

Rob

• Like 1

We replaced ours in the old Kedron when the RPD215 played up that much we tossed it and I fitted a RPD218 , cabinet opening needs to be 20 mm higher . 

From memory $2200.00 from the 12volt shop , it was a quite  few years ago .

• Like 1

Basically what Nev and Penny said.  We replaced it with a RPD218.  We got Kedron to fit the new one when we were getting a service.  Cost approx $3,000.