Waeco RPD215 faulty.

Hermit

Hi all, Our TopEnder is 9 years old now and still going strong, but we have a problem with the Waeco RPD215 fridge.

The "Fault" light comes ON randomly and flashes 3 times every 5 seconds. It does this for a while, anything from a few minutes to an hour or so.

While the fault light is flashing the compressor is NOT running and the small fan at the rear cycles as well, then eventually the fault light stays OFF and the compressor starts to run again.

The freezer section is keeping everything frozen ok, but the fridge section does tend to increase in temp when the fault light is flashing.

It has been cycling like this for about 5 weeks now and attempts to find out the reason from Dometic and other fridge repairers has failed.

They have said it might be the control unit in the rear. It will cost about $330 plus labour and there's not guarantee it will fix the problem. Surely someone must know what the problem is and how to fix without randomly replacing parts until the fault disappears!!!

I have checked the voltage at the compressor, while running, and all ok at 13.7v, and drawing 9.6amps.

My thoughts are possibly the Thermistor is crook inside the fridge.

Anyway, have posted this just in case someone else has experienced the same problem and found a fix.

Regards

Rob

• Like 1

This is from fault page .

If your error light is flashing three times every 5 seconds, the rotor may be blocked or the differential pressure in the refrigeration system is too high. Faulty compressor or faulty control module.

I hope this helps .

• Like 2

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your input.

After your comments, I think we will look at replacing the fridge rather than fixing it.

Can you tell me which fridge you replaced it with, brand, model, size etc. and where you purchased it.

Regards

Rob

• Like 1

We replaced ours in the old Kedron when the RPD215 played up that much we tossed it and I fitted a RPD218 , cabinet opening needs to be 20 mm higher . 

From memory $2200.00 from the 12volt shop , it was a quite  few years ago .

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Have made many phone calls and found that Dometic do not make the RPD-218 any more and none to be found in Oz.

Dometic now make a new model that will not fit into the same hole, it is about 100mm taller and much thinner.

Thanks Dometic, just what us older van owners need!!!!

At this point in time there are no other fridges available in Oz that I can find due to the Covid problem holding up importing goods.

I found that Bushman make a 190L DC fridge that will suit, but alas, they are waiting for parts to arrive from O.S.

We have decided to order the Bushman fridge and will just have to wait until they are available again in Australia, maybe October!!!

Just thought I would advise everyone of the situation, I'm sure it is a similar problem with many things we import.

I also had a big problem finding a Goodyear Wrangler for the van, but that's another story. (Many other tyre brands also in short supply).

Happy travels all,

Rob

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We were considering replacing our 215 with a 218 but Dometic gave us the same story as to you. Enquired about factory seconds, and was advised they are fridges which are replaced under warranty, there are none in stock due to discontinuation of the 218.

Have you looked at the Thetford T1274E as a possibility?

Cheers

Bas  

Hi Bas,

Not sure if it will fit in the same hole, they are about 70mm deeper. 

Anyway, as far as I can see, they are also not available at this time in Australia.

They are also about $1000 more than Waeco or Bushman.

We are going to wait for Bushman to get stock in.

Cheers

Rob

Hi All, (Hi Bas N Caz), 😀 Really interested in this conversation. Our 2006 ATV with the 240lt vitrifrigo is in hopefully to be repaired at the moment. If they cannot repair we would like to replace with the 190lt Bushman but were doubtful it would fit? So can you tell us if it would fit? Thank you, new members, Ross and Leah

• Like 2

Hi Ross and Leah,

My local caravan repairer has looked at my Van and my Waeco RPD215 and said that the Waecvo RPD218 will fit ok.

The Bushman 190L is a smaller fridge so should not have a problem.

The van repairer guy said that there may be a small gap at the top which could be blanked out with piece of timber or whatever material you might like.

I have contacted Bushman and they have said that their next shipment due this month is all spoken for by van builders, there should be another delivery in June or July.

I rang around many Bushman fridge retailers to no avail, maybe you might have better luck, but it seems as though none are available in Oz.

Cheers

Rob

Mulwala, NSW.

Hi Ross and Leah, welcome to the forum.

What was the problem with your Vitrifrigo?

Compared with the 215 Dometic, the 240 litres of the Vitrifrigo gave that great bit of extra room, and going to  the 190 litres of a Bushman would be a real step back.

Rob, are there any Virifrigo DP2600s (230 litres) available.

The only complaint we had with the Vit was that it iced up quite quickly and did not have a defrost cycle like the Dometic. Perhaps that has changed with the later models.

Bas

Thank you for the info, Bas and Rob, its always interesting when others have had experience. We still haven't heard from the fridge repairer so fingers crossed he is repairing, but this is all good info to take on board. Bas, the fridge was running constantly with very little time off and then eventually it started coming on for a short time and then off for less time, it got worse and worse and stopped cooling. We have tried different fixes, installed another fan near the motor, have a fridge shade and a few other things but maybe its just old?? We do a lot of off grid in hot weather so that probably doesn't help. We still love the van, it is so comfortable and travels so well. Can't wait to get away again soon. ☺️

Hi Ross and Leah.

We had the same problem several years ago with the fridge running constantly. We took it to a bloke in Caboolture (the fridge whisper) who replaced the thermostat, worked perfectly after that. 

Some years later we replaced the fridge with a Waeco 218.  Very happy with it.

Cheers from Pete 

Our van is going to Brendale next Monday to have the Thetford 273 litre fridge fitted....fingers crossed all will be good.

It is replacing the original 240 litre Vitrifrigo.

Hoping you get a speedy & satisfactory resolution.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Rob

Suggest you contact Kedron as it has some Dometic 218s in stock as of a few days ago.

Cheers

Bas

• Like 1

Hi Bas,

Thanks for the info regarding Kedron and the RPD-218's.

We have decided to go with the 190L Bushman fridge

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1