Front steering of LC200 very light

Hermit

Hi all,

I have been towing my 21'6" Top Ender with our LC200s for many years without a problem.

We have just set out for another short trip and I find that the steering is quite light and I am experiencing a little instability.

We are more lightly loaded than usual but I cannot see why I have this problem.

I have my WDH set as per usual and the van and Cruiser are level as usual. 

Could it be a tyre problem?

Would tyre pressures be the culprit.......?

On the Cruiser I have 38psi in the front and 45 in the rear, this is a little less than what I usually do (40 front/50 rear).

The van tyre pressures are a little less also. I have them at 40psi and usually run them at 45psi on the blacktop.

The Cruiser has no more or less load than on our previous trips and the load balance in the cruiser is the same as before.

The van rear water tank is empty this time, would that be a factor? I was thinking with the rear water tank full this would reduce the weight on the hitch and put more weight on the front wheels....am I correct is this assumption?

I am at a loss as to why this is happening now.

Any advice is gratefully accepted

Rob

Currently in Hahndorf Caravan Park ,south Australia.

• Like 2

Hi all,

One other thing I forgot to say,

Just before heading off, we had the Cruiser serviced and the tyres were rotated. Now the 3/4 worn tyres are on the front and the 1/4 worn tyres are on the rear. Maybe the worn tyres have a problem.

The tyres are Goodyear Wranglers All Terrain. I have been using this brand and model tyres for years without a problem.

I have booked the car in for a tyre rotation again and balance and alignment, will see if this solves the swaying/light steering.

Cheers

Rob in Hahndorf Caravan Park

• Like 2

Hi Rob 
it may be you tyres are to worn on the front.
I spoke to my toyota dealer about my þyres on my 200 series and they advised that tyre wear on the full time 4x4 should be reasonably the same.
Maybe this is somthing you could look into.
Jim 

• Like 1

Hi Rob

With an empty rear tank there will be an imbalance, placing more weight on the rear of the tow vehicle and thereby lightening the load on the front wheels of the tow vehicle.

That may be your answer.

Barry  

Hi all,

I had the tyres rotated again back to where they were before we left home.....near new tyres now on the front and the 3/4 worn tyres back on the rear.

Now all ok, no swaying in the front steering.

I realise that you are suppose to have your best tyres on the front but I like to rotate the tyres to try and get even wear.

Normally I don't have a problem with the tyres and all 4 get an even wear, but this time the rotation was not done a couple of times when the car was serviced, maybe my fault for not insisting on a rotation????

Not sure why the older tyres are causing this problem....my guess is that the side walls on the older tyres have become softer and hence are flexing more....any thoughts?

Funny thing though, I didn't notice any tracking problem on the car when not towing!!!!

Cheers

Rob

Back home in Mulwala