West Macdonald Ranges

John and Lynelle

Hi All,

Next year we will be visiting Alice Springs for an Army reunion in May. We want to do some free camps in the West Macdonald Ranges as well. Does anybody have any spots that they know about to pass along please. We travel with our dog, so National Parks are OUT.

Happy travelling,

Regards,

John & Lynelle (& Teddybear)

Hi there.

I'm in a bit of a hurry tonight so can't post too much. We spent some time in and around the West Macdonnells a few years ago and loved several areas. I am mindful of the dog situation so am going to suggest a couple of places: 2 mile camp on the Finke River, and a spot on the way out there that is a bush camp which would be suitable.

I don't seem to have the actual GPS details handy; I know I sent them to Dazmit about 18 months ago. Dazmit, can you help? Otherwise, in a few days when I get back from a weekend trip away, I will chase it all up and send the details (if I can find them!). Dazmit keeps everything, so I should be safe...

Chris

Hi again.

I am now back from the weekend escape and have time to search out the details needed. I have prepared a very detailed message for you and will forward it on once I have your email address. I have sent a private email putting this in train.

The information relates to a couple of separate bushcamping sites which are not known to the general public, out in the West macs. I have GPS locations and photos. This area is absolutely stunning and we love it around the West Macdonnells.

We don't want to put the information on the open forum....we will keep it within the Kedron site. After all, that's what another offroad forum does!

Any Kedronner who wants the details can just ask, and I will forward the same information on.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Funny you should mention the private forum other offroad caravans have.

I have just finished one for our group. Over the next 24 hours those who have attended a gathering will automatically be able to see this private forum, and also those who have given their chassis number and delivery date (as per the private KOG gathering page). It will not be available to forum members who have just ticked the "yes I have a Kedron" box when registering.

This forum will be invisible to all other "visitors" to the KOG forum, so feel free to use this for any private campground locations and other information you would like for Kedron Owners Eyes Only.

And the best part - it will NOT need a password, as there are already too many passworded areas on our site, which unfortunately I have no control over - I do apologise for that.

I will grant access to you and John first, so you can easily exchange the information you have been speaking about.

Cheers

Aren't you wonderful Webby! I have sent John the details with photos attached but I can easily put in the GPS and other text related material. Now, let me see if i can find this new bit of the forum......

PS Thanks for all your efforts on our behalf Webby. You are invaluable and I don't know what I would do without you.

I have now put the GPS co-ordinates and instructions for two camping areas in the West Macdonnell Ranges, Central Australia, in the private section of the forum.

It seems great minds think alike; Webby was beavering away creating the section (accessible only to Kedronners or intending van owners) just as I was commenting on this topic that I didn't want to broadcast camp site details.

It will be great to have the section for sharing of information like this.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments...and especially thanks for your info sharing. I know a lot of our KOG members benefit from your knowledge, travel and general experience. :wub:

Cheers

Hi,

we are new to the forum, our Top-Ender is due for completion this December. We are currently at Alice Springs, living and working until the van is finished. We know heaps of places to camp and would be happy to pass them on to you, but as we don't have all of the criteria yet to join the Private section of this forum (such as a chassis number), you can PM us if you want more info.

Don't forget, any land out this way that is not in a National Park, is either a Pastoral Lease, Aboriginal Title, Aboriginal Freehold, Commonwealth Gov't or Military. In other words, you shouldn't just plonk yourself anywhere without expecting to ruffle a few feathers. Where possible, try and find out who owns the land and get permission first.

Most landowners are happy to have low-impact campers on their land, but they dislike vandals, litterers and firearms.

Also, don't forget that there is a lot more to the Alice Springs area than just the West MacDonnells. Places like "Old Andado" are easily reached with a Kedron in tow and can give you a taste of the Simpson Desert without actually having to cross it.

Cheers,

Russ.

Hi Russ,

I have verified your order with the Kedron factory and advanced you to "Kedron Owner" status. Please email through your chassis details when they become available.

December will not come quickly enough for you I would imagine. It's an exciting time. Feel free to upload your layout to our Photos section. If you need any assistance with this, you can email me offline at moderator@kedronownersgroup.com

Welcome to the Kedron Owners Group.

Cheers