Van Roof

Gazza

Hi to everybody, have just returned from Brisbane after collecting our new ATV from KEDRON.

Very relaxing and a pleasure to go to sleep in.

On arriving home I decided to wash the van. Got out the gerni and a ladder and put it at the rear of the van. Climbed up the ladder and needed to wash a little further across the other side of the van. I placed my hand on the top of the van.

As I did so, the aluminium sheeting on the top of the van flexed down approximately 20cm. I quickly took my hand off the roof as I could feel the aluminium roof touching the internal aluminiuim framing. The roof sheeting rebounded into the correct place. Did this a couple of times with the same result.

I also did the same thing on the front. Placed my hand on the roof in front of the hatch and noticed it did the same as the rear section. This time the roof went down about 30cm.

I'm trying to establish if this is normal. Has anybody else noticed if their caravan roof flexes as much. Is the roof supposed to be attached to the aluminium framing or is it suppose to flex due to heat buildup during the day. (Expanding and contracting)

The only section of the roof which is 'solid' and did not flex is where the solar panels are attached.

As this is my first caravan it was very disconcerning to have this happen. I thought I was going to fall into the living room of the van.

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Garry & Judy MUNRO

Rockhampton. :helpsmilie:

Hi Garry & Judy,

I remember the first time I gave our ATV its first big wash. I used a ladder to stand on the spare wheels & steadied myself by placing my hand on the curved section of the roof & YES the roof did flex, possibly 10 cm's. It was a shock & a surprise! I dont think that your roof would have flexed as far as you suggest, if it had I'm sure the aluminium would have creased, probaly the 'shock' of it flexing was such a surprise it caught you off guard.

In hindsight I remembered going through the factory, prior & during production of our van, looking at the framing & cladding process....on the front & rear curves of the roofline I dont think there is much support especially in the centre area. The best way to allay any fears you have is to call the factory & speak to one of the ever friendly & helpful Gall boys.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to everyone on the forum.

I have also noticed this flexing in the roof on my ATV2. I have also got large undulations around the air conditioner and the four seasons hatch. I did not notice any of this until we had a leak from the four seasons hatch and I had to get up un a ladder and fix it.

We are currently in Tasmania and will not be back in Brisbane until Easter at which time I will take it back to the factory for them to have a look at.

Any other comments on the roofs of ATV,s would be interesting?

Bruce and Jane

:question:

I think you will find that this is normal.

In my 1st van I noticed on hot days that there was an undulation in the rear wall below the window and on cooler days all was good and straight so expansion/contraction would explain all this.

And it never ever caused an issue

But as Tony says by all means give the guys at the factory a ring and be satisfied or book the van to be looked at if you arnt

Regards