Securing Spare Wheels

Bruce and Sue

Hello Bruce,

I use 4 bolts with lock nuts through the spare holes in the spare wheel securing plate. Don't know if you have any spare holes in the plate where the spare wheels bolt onto. (2 bolts for each spare wheel)

Bolts are a different size to the wheels nuts securing the spare wheels, so that if someone had a 'spanner' to remove the wheel nuts they will also have to have two separate spanners to remove the lock nuts to get the wheels off the van.

If the person is going to 'rip' off a spark wheel then he may be an opportunist so he may not have the correct size spanners to remove the locknuts and bolts with him at the time.

I know it is a bit of a pain to have to have 2 spanners to do up and undo the bolts to get the spare wheel off the van, but for the little bit in inconvenience at the time, it will probably save you the price of a tyre and a mag wheel to match what you already have.

Regards

Garry MUNRO

happy_campers@internode.on.net

Hi Bruce

I have bought 2 lengths of gal chain & threaded them through a couple of lengths of push bike rubber inner tube to stop the rattle. I have then secured each piece with a good quality padlock & placed some cloth gaffer tape over the keyholes. Dust was not a problem when I had to change a flat on the Kennedy Developmental road between Mt Surprise & Hughendon.

Works for me anyway. Cheers

Rick