Which Hf Service To Join ?

Guest Lloyd & Lyn

Guest Lloyd & Lyn

Hi All,

I have an old Codan Auto HF which I haven't used for about 10 years, but am going to re-install, but which service to I join ?

I been told VKS is too busy and perhaps reidsradiodata.com.au (VMS-469) might be a better option. I want to be able to make phone calls on it.

Any and all information will be gratefully received.

Lloyd & Lyn

Hi Lloyd and Lynne

I have been a member of the VKS 737 4wd network and I am also a member of the HF Radio club and have been a member of both these clubs for approximately 5 yrs.

I didn't rejoin the 4wd network this yr as the fees just kept going up and I dont believe that I was getting value for money and as you say the 4wd network doesnt encourage chat unless it is Scheds time and then only a brief chat. The 4wd network only has 5 Frequencies that you are able to use and in my opinion the 8022 freq is useless if you wanted to talk to someone as it is always doing a sched. And they also don't have telephone interconnect either unless you go thru another provider and this is expensive.

I stuck with the HF Radio club who I find much more friendly and at a cost of $60 a yr you get the use of 9 Frequencies ranging from 3meg up to 15meg. We also get to use Reids Radio data freq as well and they have a reciprocal agreement with the HF radio club no other club allows this as far as I'm aware

This club also have the telephone interconnect and you have to pay an upfront cost of $50 into an account that remains yours until used for the telephone and calls are charged at $1 first min and 50c a min after to a max of 6mins before disconnection to a landline and $1 a min to a max of 6 mins for a mobile no

Once this telephone account is depleted to about $10 you are notified and the account needs to be topped up

Further info can be found here

http://www.hfradioclub.com.au/the_club.htm

What also should be remembered here is that in an EMERGENCY you can use ANY freq from any club and no one can refuse this

Regards