Dometic Windows & Insects

RickA

Hiya All

Does anyone else have any problems with bugs finding their way inside through the air vents on the Dometic windows at night? We've watched them crawl down the outside and then appear through the inner vents. I've read through the postings from last year, and they appear to be mostly about problems when you open the windows. We're getting everything from midges through crickets to some reasonably sized moths. If we were lizards, we'd be having a ball!!

At the moment, we're spraying the outside with surface spray every night, and that just thins them out!

Cheers

Hi Lea and Rick,

We have the same problem, we have put clear sticky tape over the little vents [top and bottom] and that stops them but, you would think that since most Caravan manufacturers use these windows there should be a way to fix this problem.

Neil and Julie.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi...we have also used white tape (to colour coordinate!) to seal the openings, but find the critters manage to climb right over the roller/retractable part of the mechanism, giving them access no matter where we are. It only seems to be a problem on warmer nights in the bush, but there seems to be no way to eliminate their access with this window design. Any other suggestions would be welcomed...

Marty and Meg

Large Huntsman Spiders are very effective at night, or for the more squeemish, a mating pair of ghekkos - but not at the same time, as I think the latter would eat the former!

But seriously, just a comment on spraying. In my previous (less-than-a-Kedron) van, I once left a can of flyspray on the lino floor, and it happened to leak a little. Within 2 days it had eaten its way clean through the lino. I am now VERY careful where and how much I spray insecticides, especially inside the van. I know you use it outside, but I'd watch out if you are getting it near any synthetic surfaces.

And as for the bugs, we have no way of effectively blocking the access points, but we manage it to a certain extent with judicious use of windows and curtains. eg when watching tele in the living area, we shut the windows in that bit, open all the windows in the bedroom area with the lights off there to air it, but pull the dividing curtain across so they can't see the light in the living area, so they don't try and get in. Remember it's the light they want, so any strategy which prevents light streaming from a potential access point will be helpful. A strong white decoy light outside is also good fun. Finally, they don't go so much for yellow, so you could also try converting some of your interior lights to yellow, and only use those when bugs are around.

And if none of that works, then before retiring last thing at night, turn off all lights except the neon over the sink, wait for them to gather around it - and SPRAY THE BASTARDS!