Hitch pin breakage

Taka

Hi Koggers,

I am wondering if anyone has had their hitch pin break ? The hitch we are using at the moment is a McHitch 3.5t. The breakage came thankfully in a car park & not at speed. If we were on the road, it may of been catastrophic to say the least.

Regards Taka

Hi Koggers,

I am wondering if anyone has had their hitch pin break ? The hitch we are using at the moment is a McHitch 3.5t. The breakage came thankfully in a car park & not at speed. If we were on the road, it may of been catastrophic to say the least.

Regards Taka

Hi Taka,

Do you have some more info...anything such as a hitch pin breaking has me wondering as to the why's and how's.

Any chance of a photo??

Did it shear or what??

rgds

Michael J

Hi Koggers,

Basically it was a incorrect placement of the large washer. It has to be placed in the groove between the removeable hitch plate & the main housing, thus creating a 2-3mm gap between the two. The large washer cannot be under the housing (touching the spring washer). The strange thing is, I find it hard to understand that a simple washer placed incorrectly could of resulted in a disaster. Luckily we were in a carpark when it happened & not on the Gibb ! The hitch is a 3.5t McHitch. Joe from McHitch has been a great help getting parts to us in Kununurra WA. I have taken photos but am unable to post, sorry. I hope this helps. If there is anything else don't hesitate in contacting.

Regards Taka

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Koggers,

I am sad to be posting again ..... Our replacement hitch pin has been found after 10 days to be bent like a banana !!! Obviously the issue is serious enough to have Joe from McHitch send a complete housing & auto coupler to us in Broome.

Regards Taka