Dealing with surface rust

Winnecke

Hi all. Reading the thread on moisture getting behind the front cover led me to wonder whether anyone has found a simple way of dealing with the surface rust that I have found to be developing following all the rain this year. Spots I have noticed include in and around boot locks, wheel nuts (new alloy wheels) and similar fittings which are not aluminium or galvanized. Some can be stopped with a quick spray of coldgal, but others (eg: locks) would benefit most from a protective spray (eg: CRC or Innox). Problem is these sprays attract and hold dust and dirt. Any ideas :question:

Hi there Winnecke,

I too have found a bit of surface rust, predominantly in the hatch locks. There is a roll pin that holds the mechanism together that is just starting to rust. I have cleaned them up and coated them with lanolin (Lanotec).

I would much rather clean up a bit of dust attracted by the coating than have them rust completely. I had the handle for the jockey wheel come off in my hand the other day because the roll pin in that had just about corroded away. The van is less than 2 months old! Replaced it with a stainless steel pin.

In the end I think I want to give some areas a spray of galv paint or something like that I guess.

Hi Glen,

Haven't had a chance to get the van out since the tune. We have a trip planed next weekend to Girraween. This is the same run we did last time, so I will be able to directly compare the performance. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for taking to time to help me out. I think if we sorted it, the Patrol will be great on the road and even better off road.