Fishing in Outback Queensland

Rick Johnson

Trish & I are Leaving on 30th June for Bourke, Cunnamulla, Charleville, Welford NP, Lark Quarry, Diamantina NP then up to Mt Isa, Lawn Hill then across to Karumba. We hope to do some fishing and are looking for some where to & how to information. We have purchased a couple of nets for yabbies & have heard that dog biscuits work ok. Can anyone help?

Hi Rick,

Regarding trapping Yabbies and Red Claw. They are vegetarian and love rock melon, and potato both sweet and normal. I have also heard that a small tins of cat food with a couple of holes punched in them will work.

Regarding fishing out west a lure with a good rattle in it works, but the good old earth worm will do the job.

Hope this will help

Regards,

Kingy

Hi Rick,

Re the yabbies, don't know about the dog biscuits but i was informed by a park ranger that the reason that tinned cat/dog food works is that as the yabbies are vegetarian they will attempt to move the cat food etc away from their home.

A friend of mine has had success with left over sausages from the night before as well.

Re the fishing, earth worms are great, also try pulling up a armfull of weed from the river & use the small yabbies etc that are in amoungst it.

I hope you have a great trip & good luck with the fishing & yabbies!!!

Regards,

Mark C