Fantastic Vent Cover

John and Ann

Hi All,

I recently purchased covers to install on two of my three Fantasic Vents. When I set out on this task I was unable to find a local supplier so I ended up buying them from the US, $256 AUD for three, the postage which is included in that price took just under two weeks, not bad considering the size of the box.

The installation could not have been easier, just followed the included instructions (unusual), time taken was about 1/2 hour per vent. Now we have hatches that we can open in all but the absolute worst weather (cyclone) and leave open without having to worry about the possibility of rain.

I've attached some pics for those interested in the product. My next job is to try to fit some filter medium so I can use one vent to pressurise the van on those really dusty parts of our travels.

I fitted some aquarium filter pad, similar to what is used in domestic airconditioner return air grilles to the van door grille and the lower external vent hatch of the fridge, simple jobs hopefully it helps with the dust on the Gibb River Road later this year :rolleyes:

This is the cover prior to installation:

post-1034-0-21590200-1333274724_thumb.jp

This is the cover as fitted:

post-1034-0-07657500-1333274740_thumb.jp

Hi John,

I am very interested in these vent covers. Is it safe enough to stand on the roof to fit them or is another method advised??

Kind regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've been on the roof many times. It is quite safe provided you place your feet near items such as hatches, vents, solar panels, and the like as there is generally additional frame work around these to support and tie them in to the rest of the roof framework.

Test your footing and if in doubt place a piece of ply or similar down to distribute the load, I've not had to do this, but then I have a lot happening on my roof, 4 solar panels, A/C, 5 various hatches and vents, TV antenna and a blockout to instal a sat dish if I feel inclined at some point.laugh.gif

Cheers and good luck, it's such an easy job.

You're welcome Chris,

Enjoy the your new fresh air when you get the job done. BTW one thing I did was to put some stainless steel washers over the pins before fitting the retaining clips, you'll see what I mean when you get your kit, seemed to me that they might be a better option than without.