Genquip Generators

Glen and Debbie

I don't know that brand however it may be one of the many Honda copies coming out of China. I have heard of testing on the other brands and the reports are that they won't run the airconditioner on the van. They simply die when you put that sort of load on. If you talk to the forum I'm sure the concensus would be Honda, Honda, Honda or Yahama, Yahama, Yahama.

I would suggest you get a guarantee from the dealer that it will run an A/C if that is your ultimate goal.

Better still take the van with you and test it yourself.

If you just want to run lights and an engel they may be satisfactory.

Hope this is helpful,

Rosco

:thumbsup:

Hi Glen and Debbie,

I think the Genquip is same as Kipor brand - both yellow anyway :laugh:. I bought a 2KVA Kipor, but it failed to start the air-con, so it went on E-Bay straight away. I see Genquip have a 3300W on sale now, https://secure.genquip.com.au/shop/, for around $2,000. This should start the air-con, but it is much bigger and heavier as well.

Here is another site - sidewinder, that has their own brand - http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page137.html. This is 2.6 KVA and not as big as the Genquip model, but still bigger than the 2KVA Honda. I'm not exactly sure what relevance it is, but the Sidewinder has a 171cc capacity against others that vary between 125cc and 140cc. Have a look at generator/inverter in E-Bay and you can see all the import models - many obviously from the same manufacturer in China.

At the Qld Caravan show that is on this week, I see the generator place has an ad in the newspaper supplement for Honda EU2.0i for $1,799 (which includes the $200 cash back from Honda). Also included is extra gear, (security cable, extended to 5 year warranty that is supposed to be worth $185). (http://www.generatorplace.com.au/).

I haven't yet bought anything - keep changing my mind :confused1: But I think I will end up with the Honda - it fits into the slide out tray, and I would have to remove it for any others. I have been assured it does start the air-con - and in the end the brand name and warranty will make my mind up for me.

Jeff

Thanks Rosco and Jeff

We were thinking of the 3300w genquip as our airconditioner is 3000w.

We are off to the show on Wed and will talk to them all there and we will either bring home a generator or go back to the drawing board trying to decide just what we want the generator for - ultimately to charge the batteries & I think we will forget about the aircon. Glen was also very interested in a Yamaha.

Cheers

Deb B

• 11 months later...

Hi Glen & Debbie,

Would be interested to hear if you got the genquip 3300w generator.

One of the last couple of month's edition of 4WD Action Magazine (I think ... I read so many ....which also reviewed snatchum straps :confused: ) did a review on the genquip 3300w generator. It said they ran a computer, the airconditioner, power tools etc for a week and they were prepared to give it their thumbs up.

So much so the mag is offering one as a prize to one of its competitions.

Maybe someone here can tell you what the magazine edition number was.

I have heard Kedron have now swapped over to the Yamahas.

Hi

we decided to play it safe and bought the Honda 2kva. We have run our airconditioner just to test it and had no problems, but I don't think we would be able to run anything else at the same time. Nor have we tried it when it was really hot.

I think it was Peter who had the Yamaha at Kilkivan and it ran their airconditioner without any hesitation, but it was slightly bigger and heavier.

Cheers

Deb B