Kaymar replacement rear bar and tyre carriers

grahama

I am looking at a replacement rear bar and tyre carrier for my Landcruiser and was reviewing the specs of the Kaymar bar and their warranty states that they do not recommend the use of a weight distribution hitch and that the Kaymar tow hitch must be used.

Has anyone used or is currently using one of these rear bars and had any issues when towing the van?

This thread on another site might have some bearing on why kaymar are saying not to use weight distribution hitches

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/78347/...t.aspx%3fpn%3d1

Here is some further info including pics I know it is about the ARB bar mostly but there are some issues with this that might also affect the kaymar bar as well as other makes

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/76292/...arrier%26pn%3d6

post-108-1274666561_thumb.jpgpost-108-1274666517_thumb.jpgpost-108-1274666622_thumb.jpgpost-108-1274666672_thumb.jpg

G`Day Grahama

I have had a Kaymar Rear bar and wheel carrier with HF arial and spotty for about 3.5 yrs..Have towed 2 Keddys inc. current one 3.2 tonnes No probs whatsoever.Have inc. pictures of same.

Cheers

Rick & Lea :thumbsup:

Hi Grahama

I have had two Kaymar rear bars over the years the last one on a 76series cruiser with a 4t topender bar was great had no problems at all with wdh also hayman reece adjustable tow hitch. The standard Toyota bar fell apart literally after 4 months the Kaymar was great would highly recommend them.

See you on the road Adam and Lynda :thumbsup:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for your responses. That was an interesting article regarding the cracking in the ARB bar. My preference was the Kaymar bar and by the sound of it our little ATV should not cause any issues even with the extra weight of two jerry cans on the A-Frame and a generator in the front boot.

Safe travels everyone.

Regards

Graham

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Kaymar rear bar on my new Troopie towing a Topender. I only find out now that one should not use load levelers. I had the unfortunate experience of the bolts being sheared off but thankfully I did not loose the van. I have since replaced the standard mild steel bolts with high tensile steel bolts and have reinforced the mountings. I am a bit annoyed that I was not told that I should not have used load leveler with the rear bar until after I lodged a complaint with Kaymar.

Hope this helps

Norm