Buying a Kedron 17' x 7'6 XC2

DickB

Gooday all,

This is my very first attempt at a post. We are after some help; but a short story first. We owned a Kedron 17' ATV poptop with a chasis number of 00046. It was an early build in May 2001. We have since sold this van and have been to the Kedron factory where we have had a quote prepared by Stan Klaer. Our biggest problem is our relatively new Prado five door 3 litre turbo diesel as far as tow weights .

Stan has drawn up a plan for a 17' x 7.6" Cross Country Two with a rear kitchen, shower toilet combo and an east west bed up the front. This van has an internal measurement of 4075 where as our old Kedron poptop measured 5065mm internally. My beauttiful wife Jenny is worried about living space in the van that Stan has provided a plan for.

Having owned a Kedron, we know what the build quality is all about and we would like to buy another one. Stan has engineered this van to be towed by our Prado. Is there any owner of a 17' x 7"6 who could help us get an appreciation of interior size and living space and who may also be willing to share email pictures or information. Jan McNeil has described the van we have had drawn up as a "compact van" but we want to know is it a liveable van. We live in Coffs Harbour NSW. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Contact details are Dick and Jenny Braithwaite at dickbraithwaite@hotmail.com or on 0266526065 or 0409435279

Hi Dick,

Have a look at the thread on 'How much do Kedron's weigh' on the Public Forum for some other comments.

We have recently sold a 17' 6" internal 7'6" wide XC 2004 with ATV axels with 4 batteries, 4 panels, 4 x 60 litre water tanks, shower & toilet with 230 litre vitrofrigo fridge. A friend was having a 17' internal built and weighed around the same time and he was borderline for tow capacity of his TD Prado. We had a TD Prado and ended up buying a LC100 TD because we decided to go an extra water tank, extra solar panel and extra battery.

We took it over a weigh bridge fully loaded up, full water tanks and gas bottles and with wood on the A frame and it weighed 3270 kg. Ball weight 320 kg. There are not too many Kedron owners with Prados. According to the Toyota website the 5 door TD Prado has a towing capacity of 2500 kg braked. (You might get away with it with one of the new Prado TD 3 door models which states it has a tow capacity of 3000kg).

After an 8 month trip to WA we found we just wanted some more space and have a 18'6" internal ATV on order as we plan to travel most of the time upon retirement later this year. This is just our experience.

Gooday Ann, I wasn't sure that what I was doing was right as far as making a post but it looks like it worked OK. Thanks very much for your insights on Prado and weight of van. I will search through the forum to find the thread you mentioned. I really appreciate you getting back to my post so quickly.

Kind regards

Dick Braithwaite

Hi Dick

My 17ft XC2 fully loaded weighs 3100kg and I am sure many others would carry more stuff than we do.

You must ensure the plate weights are backed up by weigh bridge certification.

Ours is front Kitchen to take advantage of the extra area over the boot, single beds and rear shower/toilet which provided the maximum living area that is still quite tight.

Single beds also allow for maximum overhead storage cupboards.

John

Hi John,

thanks for the reply post. I think its is beginning to dawn on us that the Prado is too much of a light weight when it comes to towing. Still having said that Stan at Kedron is trying his hardest to make it fit the tare weight we are chasing without compromising too much. I hope it works out because we would like to get into another Kedron. Other vans we are considering if this does not come off are Lotus Trooper and Sunland Patriot. Preference Number 1 is the Kedron. Thanks again John. Much appreciated

Regards

Dick and Jenny Braithwaite