Inverters

Hermit

Hi all, I have been studying the forum posts about inverters. I am still confused as to which type and size I require.

I understand the difference between pure sine wave and the modified sine wave inverters. I just need some help deciding which of the two types I should install.

I know that the easiest way is to just go for the pure sine wave type, but the cost is much higher than the modified type, and I am trying to limit my spending as we all do.

I also understand that sufficient battery capacity is required, I have 3x 120Ah AGM batteries with solar panels.

Considering that sensitive equipment such as TV's, DVD players and CD/FM Radio's are supplied by the 12v battery system, we only want to be able to use such appliances as the microwave, clothes washer, mixmaster (wife likes to bake) and the occasional small power tool (drill etc).

I imagine that a modified sine wave inverter would be sufficient and, size wise, about 1200watt.

What do you suggest, and do you have a similar setup. Also which brands should I be looking at?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Rob

Townsville

Hi Herman

You would need a small Pure sine wave for computers and phone charging,about 300 watts should be heaps. Victron Phoenix is a good brand. As for the rest a modified around 1800watts should be sufficient for washing machine etc. Check with Springers 12volt. they are the experts in that type of stuff.

Cheers

Rick :thumbsup:

Hi Herman,

We installed a Xantrex 1800W pure sine wave inverter wired to all power points when we had our van built. A simple switch was installed inside the van to switch over to 240V inverter for TV, computer etc.

It was a bit expensive but worked well for us.