In-Car Navigation

John and Ann

Hi All,

There has previously been discussion about what in car navigation units are best used when travelling this wide land. The options are many and varied, but, if you are a little handy with some technology there are a number of smaller 7" Android OS tablets on the market which offer considerable advantages over the conventional bundled navigation units.

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy 7.7 tablet, I have the WiFi version but there is a 3G version also. These devices, dare I say it, are similar to an iPad. I am an iPad devotee but to use a 10" touchscreen unit for navigation was for me at least, not an option, just too big, besides it had to have Android as the OS as OziEplorer has an Android version in Beta development, but nothing for Apple IOS....... yet, it's planned.

After installing the Beta version of OziExplorer, purchased for a very, very reasonable fee, I loaded all my NatMap files, Hema maps and Camps waypoints, too easy. There's a program available from OziExplorer which allows you to do your own screen layouts. The end result was a very easy to use 7" touchscreen navigation on a RAM mount by my right hand when driving that I can read my emails on, browse the internet, (not when driving!) etc, etc, there's heaps of apps available.

I don't need turn by turn navigation as it is already fitted to the Landcruiser, what I did need is a better option than my PC to use my off-road, topo and marine maps, If I wanted turn by turn as well there are apps for that as well.

Below is a screen shot, which by chance is close to actual size (I've covered over the Lat/Long normally shown top right). I'm not suggesting any particular brand of device, you just need to be sure that it has a built in GPS, some of the really cheap ones available on the internet don't, you need to ask,but, be warned you still might not get the right answer. The sales staff I spoke to were not very clued in on the technical nitty gritty of their array of offerings.

Ask away if you have a question either within the thread or PM me. Might not suit everyone, just putting it out there as something really worth considering if you are in the market or looking for a upgrade.

post-1034-0-15518600-1334670114_thumb.jp

Happy travels :)

John